aricept

nurse

Oct 2, 2006
I am 54 years old and after a mild stroke a few years back, a hystery of hypertension and many years of battling high cholesteral etc, I have been placed of disability and on arecpt. The aricept has given my life back to me but does that neccesarily mean I have early alzheirmers. My internist has diagnosed me with dementia but has not stated what type. Does aricept work on vascular dementia?

janey21

Mar 11, 2004
sunderland
hello nurse

my grandad who has vascular dementia and alzheimers has been on aricept for the past four years.

janey x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
While it's not generally prescribed in the UK for anything but Alzheimers, it is used in other countries for people with other types of dementia. There have been several studies done that showed improved function in people with vascular dementia who were treated with aricept. Unfortunately, the last one also showed an increase in deaths. However, there is some evidence that this result was skewed by an abnormally low (i.e. 0) death rate in the group NOT receiving the drug, because the actual death rate in the group receiving Aricept was in line with previous studies. So it's definitely effective, and the jury's still out on whether it is safe. So, just because you have responded to aricept does not mean that you have AZ. Just make sure (obviously) that you carry on doing whatever you're doing to reduce your chances of future strokes etc.

Jennifer

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
When I was hassling about a post mortem for my mother, people said lots of people are on Aricept and no-one dies of it!

Well, of course they don't die of it if no-one does a post mortem, they can put whatever they like on death certificates.

Lila