Aricept

mandyp

Oct 20, 2004
Glasgow
Hi all,

Mum was prescribed Aricept last week, she started it on Wednesday. I'm really hopeful that 'something' good will happen (although I know it may not).

She's declined quite a bit lately and won't let Dad go out at night without her (he's in a pub quiz team). Neither of us are quite sure why, what it is that she's frightened of. She has come down to my house and my husband gives her a lift up the road and sees her into the house, so in that respect it's okay. Dad really likes the quiz and it'd be a shame if he has to give that up along with everything else.....anyway, I'm way off track now!

I just wondered how soon we could expect to see some improvement, so far no drugs have made any difference as far as we're aware (maybe they've slowed things down, but we don't really know). Has anyone found that Aricept works fairly quickly?

The nurse has more or less implied that this is Mum's last chance and there won't be anything else that they can really try, which I'm finding worrying and frightening,

Thanks in advance,

Mandy

mandyp

Oct 20, 2004
Glasgow
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply and link. I suppose I'm being a little bit over hopeful that Mum would show some sign of improvement, if it slows things down that's great but I'd really hoped we'd see some of her old self.

I'm ever hopeful, probably because we all have to be,

Take care,

Mandy

zed

Jul 25, 2005
London
Hi Norman, I thought PWD could only be on Aricept for 2 years or so?

Mandy, my mum has recently started aricept, she says her mind feels clearer, we'll find out from the dr soon it is has had any affect in his opinion, but unfortunately aricept doesn't work for everyone, no one really knows why.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Zed
how long Aricept are prescribed for is down to the individual consultant.
Some believe that to stop them means no going back,and they are continued based on the consultants observations.
Norman

Tess

Nov 29, 2005
I live in west wales
Hi Mandy
It's remarkable the similarities with your mum and dad and mine. My mum is in the stages of AD where she can come to us and be taken home, seen into the house safely and be left for a little while on her own. My dad cares for her. He too has his night out at a club (all men) where he goes for some real conversation and a well earned break. Mum was prescribed Aricept some time ago but she couldn't tolerate it (kept running back and fore to the loo all the time). While she was taking it she was very relaxed and happy. She is now taking other medication which seems to suit her although she continues to deteriorate. We wonder how long it will be before we will have to sit with her to enable Dad to have his evening out. It's pretty devastating when a loved one is diagnosed with AD isn't it? I still don't think I really believe that it's happening in our family and it's very frightening to think what the future has in store.

Being part of TP is such a comfort. Although we are not in the depths of despair at this point, just knowing that you're not alone - there are people whose loved ones are at varying stages of the disease - it's just so helpful. I just want to make the most of every day while Mum is (almost) still the Mum I remember and although we don't have 'proper' conversations anymore (she does not contribute much to conversations and the things that used to be important - the kids, school, our wellbeing etc - don't get mentioned or enquired about) it's still great to see her face light up when I walk in through the door.

We really do have to make the most of every golden moment.

Kindest regards
Tess

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Tess,
It's pretty devastating when a loved one is diagnosed with AD isn't it? I still don't think I really believe that it's happening in our family and it's very frightening to think what the future has in store
Don't be frightened; you will have the strength to deal with whatever this disease might throw at you. Even in advanced stages, my mum is still my mum. Might only be an occasional smile, an attempt to wink, her smell, the feel of her hand as I hold it - but she is my mum and I love her dearly. But you are right, make the most of every golden moment!
Amy

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Hi Mandy,
My Mom has been on Aricept for two years. One doctor wanted to take her off saying it had done all it could but another said if she went off, she would drop like a rock and he wouldn't be able to get her back up. We stayed with the latter doctor! We did see some improvement on Aricept and it did slow the progress down. I think where Mom is now is where she would have been a year ago without it but that is something we can't know for sure. All you can do is try everything and hope for the best. I will also tell you though that it was highly recommended from the beginning that my Mom get social stimulus from day care or other means. The psychologist and neurologist told us it could keep her out of a nursing home a year, maybe two if she had some outside stimulus. I couldn't get my parents to embrace that at all until last month.

I wish you the very best with your Mom.
Debbie

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy Mayor