Aricept with Lewy body & Parkinson's

suem

Jul 1, 2005
Worcestershire
My husband has just been prescribed aricept for Lewy body dementia but he has Parkinsons as well,so the symptons are very intertwined with each other. He had a bad experience when he was on Exelon as it really effected the Parkinsons(freezing lasting hours). Has anyone experience with any benefits/side effects that aricept has with Parkinsons. I have heard that if you stop taking aricept that the dementia can get a lot worse quickly,don't know if that it's true or not.
The Parkinson's is a lot worse than the dementia so we don't want to tip the balance with perhaps only a slight chance of improving the dementia at the cost of making the Parkinsons worse.
Thanks

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Suem, have you discussed all these fears with the team caring for your husband? Even if you have, go back and ask about all the pros and cons. Then gently ask them what they would do if it was their partner, parent, etc. I found this often broke down the patient/professional barrier so that everyone could actually give valuable insights. It may be that your husband will settle down a bit with the medication after a while. Or that the benefits outweigh the problems. Only they can advise on these issues.The freezing must have been very frightening for both of you though. I can well understand your fears now.Thinking of you, love She. XX

noodle31

May 1, 2005
kent
hi

my dad also has lewy body with parkingsons.

he has been prescribed one medication for the parkingsons but they took him off of it after just one day as it dramatically lowered his blood pressure.

how long has your husband been diagnosed if you dont mind me asking?

it is just dad was diagnosed only in the past 6 weeks or so, and has declined so quickly it is frightening

i hope your husbands medication gets sorted quickly

love Jane xx

suem

Jul 1, 2005
Worcestershire
Hi Jane
Sorry your dad has declined so quickly. Was the Parkinson or the lewy body just diagnosed?
My husband has had Parkinsons 13 years and they think the lewy body about 3 years. They are not really to sure as a lot of the symptons of both are very simular.
Are they not able to give your dad other medication? there is a lot of different ones
Sue

noodle31

May 1, 2005
kent
Hi

they were both diagnosed together.

In hindsight he has pro had both for a minimum of 4 yrs

he is in the advanced stages now

been to see him this evening and he has hip protectors on, he thinks they are wallets

he was full of cuddles tonight

love Jane xx

EllieS

Aug 23, 2005
SOMERSET
Serious Advice For Anyone With A Parkinson Disease Query

My father too suffered from PD and Lewybody Disease. I cannot recommend too highly for you to contact the Parkinsons Disease Association. Their advice re medication helped my mother and I to keep my Dad from death's door when he was very very poorly indeed. I had to stand up to the Consultant Psychiatrist with their advice though ! He has since died but they were absolutely wonderful.

There is one particular group of drugs that should be avoided - I'm sorry but I cannot remember at the moment but they will help you I am sure.

Good Luck

Ellie

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peanutbrain