Aricept v Exiba

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
My mam has been on Aricept for quite some time now, and is due to be started instead on Exiba as the Aricept has stopped working (if it ever did - not too sure about that!)

I've read the fact sheets but am interested in anyone's experiences of their loved one switching from Aricept to Exiba and any changes that came about following this, how soon they happened after starting to take it, and how long they lasted.

Good or bad, I'm just keen to have some sort of idea of what we might experience. I'm worried that my dad is pinning all his hopes on this drug, and if it makes no difference I don't know where we'll go from here.

Many thanks.

lupo

Jun 11, 2011
Mum couldnt take aricept, it made her sick, she was 7st. She started on Ebixa last June and by Christmas was just short of 10st. It seemed to improve her cognitve skills, a bit more settled, appetite better. She would wipe work tops down etc. Shes now in CH after a major fall. Im unsure apart from above how it helped, because you cant measure what she would be like without. She is moving into later stages, walking not good etc. She still takes the drug

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thank you lupo, that's helpful and encouraging, I especially like the bit about being more settled, that's what I'm hoping will happen with mam. That would then have a knock-on effect of giving my dad a bit of peace as well.

Luckily at the moment mam has no trouble with her appetite, although it tends to be for sweet things and not vegetables!

I know it's hard to measure whether the drugs actually do anything, like you say it's difficult to assess what they would be like without taking it, other than stopping it, I suppose.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
My husband started to have problems ( hallucinations) with aricept after tolerating it well for over three years. I fought like mad to try him on Ebixa. I am not sure regarding cognition as to whether it has helped but for extreme anxiety and panic attacks it has made a great difference. Before Ebixa I was lucky to get two hours sleep a night. Now he generally sleeps for four hours then wakes but I can easily settle hin back to sleep for another three hours. It has saved my sanity. I do not imagine this will last for ever but it has given me back my lovely husband from Dec 16 2011 until today so even if it stops now it has been so good for us. He is on no other medication
Tre