Aricept running out tomorrow

RobinH

Apr 9, 2012
London
Hi

I've just discovered that mum's prescription has run out - last pill tomorrow. I've put in train getting more, but I'm not there until Saturday (when Drs and the Chemist we use are shut).

My question is, how many days can she afford to miss with no ill effect? Please only reply if you can answer this.

Robin

Miss shiraz

Dec 24, 2014
Midlands
MIL often forgets to take her Aricept, then the DN throws it away next day, often missed few consecutive days. Difficult to say if it has any impact as her behaviour can be quite erratic anyway. Nothing we can do about it when it happens, so have to get on with it but obviously would prefer her to take it.
Ineffect then she'd miss 2 days til Saturday if somehow they could be collected, I'm no doctor but can't see this would have any great effect from our experience. The Doctors must have some provision for this type of incident so worth a call... duty of care etc. MIL has her meds delivered weekly in a dosette box which are then placed in a locked box, DN then visits daily as she's also diabetic to oversee insulin and get the day's tablets out of the box.

Last edited:

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
OH has just been taken off Aricept because it upset his tummy. He is going to stay off them for 2weeks and then try the patches.

He had already slipped a bit since Christmas but I can't say that I have noticed any difference in the few days he has been off them. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference when he starts on the patches after having the break.

MERENAME

Jun 4, 2013
scotland
i do know that if 7 days are missed then dosage is reduced back down to 5mg to reintroduce drug back into the system.

MERENAME

Jun 4, 2013
scotland
my dad was very resistant to medication but i can't honestly say how many days of not taking it ie spitting it out and hiding it, it took before his symptoms worsened.I only know they reduced the dose several times.

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
Ring her local chemist you normally get the prescription from and ask them to deliver it - most do now. Dr should be able to take/ fax/email prescription to them.

My small local chemist sorts out all my mums meds and orders repeats from her doctor directly ( I don't have to get involved or remember something else) and the chemist delivers them to her. I think lots of them do this now might be worth looking into, one thing less for you to sort out.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I only know that when my wife stopped taking then she got a lot better (after 3 years on them). If she misses a couple of days I wouldn't worry if it goes more than a week you might have to go with half a tab a day but you should see the doctors first and tell them the whole story. If it's working for her then you do need to go for continuity.
I don't know where you are Robin but in the UK chemists are available 24/7 if you have a prescription.
K