Arguing with everyone

Mrs Moz

Nov 28, 2021
My husband is 54 and was diagnosed with mild Alzheimer's last November and is now taking 10mg of Donepezil, over the last few weeks I've noticed he's become more argumentative and short tempered and I'm not sure if this is due to the Donepezil. A couple of times this week whilst he's been out on his own he's argued with strangers, the first time he was out walking the dog, another dog was off lead and my husband had an argument with the owner and told him he should have his dog under control and to keep his dog away from ours. Today whilst he was out he had another argument with a man because he'd parked on the pavement at the end of our road. I know the points he's bringing up are valid and he isn't violent but when we argue he can be really nasty verbally and I'm just worried that he's going to say the wrong thing to the wrong person and things might turn nasty. I don't know what to do, I can't stop him going out and I work so I can't be with him 24/7. Any suggestions or reassurance would be welcome.

update2020

Jan 2, 2020
I think those early stages are really difficult. Can he wear a lanyard or similar to indicate that he has an invisible disability? He may not be willing but if he could that would at least alert others. You can also fill in a form with the local police explaining that he has dementia and then at least they will have that on record if difficulties arise. I cannot remember what the form is called but I know my local police urged me to do that.

Mrs Moz

Nov 28, 2021
I think those early stages are really difficult. Can he wear a lanyard or similar to indicate that he has an invisible disability? He may not be willing but if he could that would at least alert others. You can also fill in a form with the local police explaining that he has dementia and then at least they will have that on record if difficulties arise. I cannot remember what the form is called but I know my local police urged me to do that.
Thank you, I didn't even realise you could register with the police and that is a good idea.

Rosiebelle

Nov 23, 2020
I got sunflower lanyard from customer service at our local Morrisons but understand most larger shop should have them. Mainly to make others aware of a disability.

update2020

Jan 2, 2020
Thank you, I didn't even realise you could register with the police and that is a good idea.
You’re welcome. I feel like I have a PHD in young onset dementia care!!! But others will be along with good suggestions too .

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
My husband is 54 and was diagnosed with mild Alzheimer's last November and is now taking 10mg of Donepezil, over the last few weeks I've noticed he's become more argumentative and short tempered and I'm not sure if this is due to the Donepezil. A couple of times this week whilst he's been out on his own he's argued with strangers, the first time he was out walking the dog, another dog was off lead and my husband had an argument with the owner and told him he should have his dog under control and to keep his dog away from ours. Today whilst he was out he had another argument with a man because he'd parked on the pavement at the end of our road. I know the points he's bringing up are valid and he isn't violent but when we argue he can be really nasty verbally and I'm just worried that he's going to say the wrong thing to the wrong person and things might turn nasty. I don't know what to do, I can't stop him going out and I work so I can't be with him 24/7. Any suggestions or reassurance would be welcome.
I would suggest asking for a medication review just to make sure he’s on the right meds and dosage. It’s still early days but anything that can improve his quality of life as well as yours is not too much to ask. I think the lanyards are a good idea although in my own experience, people don’t always understand what the hidden disability is and continue to be impatient/argumentative. I’m sure things will settle down, take care of yourself too.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Be sure that a medication review includes all medications, both prescription and over the counter, from all sources.

Bod.

Pork Pie lady

Mar 16, 2013
Anglia
It could be that he is stressed, angry or depressed (probably a mix of all 3) and still in the process of coming to terms with his diagnosis. Getting angry or irritable can be the main outward sign of depression. When my husband was first diagnosed he had time off work to deal with the shock but never went back primarily because he got so depressed. Thankfully the antidepressants have it totally under control now.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Agitation and aggression are rare side-effects of donepezil, so do get back to the person who prescribed it for him and ask for their advice on whether the donepezil is the cause

Annier68

Oct 9, 2021
My husband is on donepezil 5mg just now about to go to 10mg. Before diagnosis and donepezil he became very frustrated and angry about not being able to remember and do what he used too. He broke down and said he felt worthless. He was prescribed medication to aid depression and anxiety. He continues to take this and donepezil. I’ll let you know how increase impacts him as I have heard it can cause change in mood negatively. Sorry I’ve no advice other than speak to nurse.