Are You Sitting Comfortably....?

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear All,

Great excitement in the Frogley household today....! Read on.

My parents have had the same hideous lounge suite for the past 40 years. It's rather like a Venus fly trap, as once you are in, then you are totally stuck! It has also undergone various chameleon shade changes over the years, when my Mother has recovered it - presumably in an attempt to render it as a more colourful way to dislocate the spines of honoured guests whom she didn't want to leave in a rush and unwanted elderly relatives that she wished to evict fairly quickly..

Now that the oldies are settled into the new bungalow and feeling almost at ease - apart from aforementioned chairs - and are NOT obsessing about finances, cheque books and shredding toilet rolls.... I thought that it might be a good time to broach the subject of ditching the old dinosaur....

I adopted several strategies to do this - the major point being that it's not doing either of them any good to be hauled out of this contraption several times a day.

So on the basis of general health, we have had a 'family meeting' and decided to buy a new one. Once my father got over the pain of parting with money and my mother selected the colour [wine], I have gone ahead with blessings all round and ordered a brand new lounge suite.

This is my happy story of the day to follow up my previous posts.

Jude

karen_white

Apr 21, 2004
Berkshire
That's great news Jude. Always good to see the sun shining through the dense trees. I'm sure it will be a lot easier for your parents.
I'm glad they were all for it.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Karen,

It will be wonderful to have some comfortable chairs, but the oldies will be able to escape more readily.... Could be a double edged sword.

Jude

karen_white

Apr 21, 2004
Berkshire
That gave me a smile. I can remember Dad having trouble at home trying to get out of the sofa that used to all but consume him.
I have visions of him projecting out of the chair, being the right height, with good arms, etc.
Was good to smile this afternoon.

take care.x

karen_white

Apr 21, 2004
Berkshire
I am constantly surprised by the amount Dad can do when he puts his mind to it.
Last night dad was trying to break up a cake with his left hand (he's always been right handed, but a recent stroke has left him with a crocked hook hand now that's of no use to him). He always finds these things difficult, but at times we refrain from helping him as it sends him into one.
We just watched eagerly to see what he would do. After a few minutes he pulled it apart with his left hand.

This was near short of genius as even I would have found what he did difficult. He looked up with a big smile and a thumbs up as if for praise in what he'd done. My sister and I both gave him a big hug and kiss and it was the best visit in ages. He even offered us some of his cake.

Happy times can still be had.

xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emilieo