Are we near the end....?

debby13

Oct 15, 2007
Hi all

Some advice from all you wonderful people please. My Dad has been in hospital for the last 4 weeks having collapsed in respite apparently due to a urine infection and then had so many falls they couldnt cope with him. Now he seems unable to swallow (he has an oxgen mask on), is not eating anything (a few days ago they had him on a liquid diet), has caught C Diff (the hospital bug) and is on intravenous antibotics and also has a chest infection. I am really at a loss to know whether others have experienced such a rapid decline? Literally 3 months ago he was at home with mum eating fairly normally and spending 90% of his days in bed but otherwise not too bad. Now ever since the admission to hospital it just seems to have gone all horribly wrong. Plus there is no one to ask and we just dont know what to do? The speech therapist said they may start feeding through the tube up the nose etc? Is this what happens?

Please anyone can you tell me what you think?, he looks like he is dying and has not spoken for weeks either. Just dont know what to think?

xx Love Debbie:(

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Debby.

What has the hospital said? There must be someone to ask. You can ask for an appointment with your father`s consultant, and it will be arranged.

It doesn`t sound good, but there have been so many recoveries once infection has cleared, only the medics will know how much hope there is.

I can tell how worried you are. See if you can see the consultant.

Take care xx

clarethebear

Oct 16, 2007
manchester, uk
Hi Debbie

I'm so sorry to hear your dad is ill in hospital.

As Grannie has said ask for an appointment with your dad's consultant only they can give you an idea of what is really going on.

My thoughts are with you at this time. Please keep us posted on how things are going.

Take Care
Clare:)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Debbie,

Yes, I'm afraid things can happen that quickly, particularly following a UTI. Have a look at my thread, Worried about John. Three monts ago he was at home with me, living a comparatively normal life, and walking a mile every morning.

I know exactly how you feel. It's devastating to see such a rapid decline.

Please make an appointment to talk to the consultant. I made a pest of myself when John was in hospital (very politely, of course). It really is the only way to make sure our loved ones are looked after. It shouldn't be like that, but I'm afraid it is. If they know you're on the ball, they make sure they do everything by the book!

Good luck. Please let us know how your dad gets on.

Love,

Mary11

Nov 25, 2007
Hi Debbie,

Is your dad still having loose bowel movements?? Have you asked what IV antibiotics they are giving him...and for what infection?? Lots of people with c-diff develop almost anorexia type symptoms ie. lack of appetite, in fact lots won't even take water. Ask about your dad's fluid and electrolyte levels as these can become dangerously low in c-diff sufferers...everything is literally being pumped out (for want of a better word). You have to ask questions Debbie and don't be fobbed off..you need answers to your questions and honest ones.

Is your dad in a side room Debbie?? If he is then it is more than likely he is still suffering from c-diff and is in isolation...ask questions.

Wishing you all the very best.
Mary11

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hi Debbie,

Sorry that I can only offer sympathy for your families situation and hope that your dad improves with treatment.

Best Wishes

Taffy.

debby13

Oct 15, 2007
Hi all

Thanks to everyone for your responses. No change at the moment, he is still in isolation although now he has been joined by 2 others who also have the C Diff thing. He is still not eating and on the drip only. The lastest thing seems to be an oxgen mask as apparently he literally not swallowing at all now. Mum had a long chat with the speech therapist about this but nothing really came of it. we are chasing the consultant to get an appointment with him so we can ask all these questions. Seems to be hard to get hold of him but we won't give up. When we do get the appointment I will go with Mum to attend so that at least I can ask the questions.

I will keep everyone posted and thanks again.

Debbie xx