Are things getting complicated??

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
I haven't heard anything from my sister since dad passed on Tuesday but things need to be sorted so hope someone can advise best way to proceed please. I was contacted today to say that dads death has now been certified and sent to registry office so need to call them to go through the registration process I am Ok to deal with that as have a idea what information they need. I have called TV licence people and a refund is being sent as dads licence due to run until July 2021 he's backdating refund to when dad went to CH but not sure now if guy is sending the cheque in dads name which looking online I'm not sure if bank will accept? guy did take my name so maybe cheque will have my name on and can sort out payment with sister, he is sending cheque to dads address. My sister had already said for any post to be redirected to me as she didn't want dads post. I had set up a redirection of post recently and post should be coming to me now.
My sister doesn't want to hand over dads house back to council yet as still some house stuff to go through and charity's won't go into house to collect large items such as furniture etc so I don't know how long she wants to keep house on bearing in mind dad hasn't been there since 23/11/20 although we had not had confirmation if dad would be sent home after assessment by ASC so rent has been coming out of dads account. I would assume the bank will need informing soon/now that dad has passed obviously our POA is no longer valid and if sister insists house is still rented surely bank won't pay the council if informed dad is deceased as rent paid by Direct Debit same with Council Tax. The same also applies for utility bills all direct debit, phone is not needed so I can cancel but electric, gas as ( don't want burst pipes if cold ) and water needed to clean up. Its getting complicated especially as sister not speaking with me. My sister hasn't even asked about any funeral arrangements that will need to be made but I have a phone appointment booked for Monday at 10am to make arrangements. Dad has a Funeral Plan so mostly its the details of date and more personnel details to sort such as clothing for dad.
I have no idea if Covid will be on dads certificate as he had a positive test last week but was not the direct cause of dads passing so am expecting the certificate to say Advanced Dementia with possibility of Covid being added. I know if they put Covid on the certificate the funeral home is unlikely to let us see dad in Chapel Of Rest and he won't be able to have his own clothes taken in as I had asked at the time the Funeral Plan was set up in October. The insurance company have said that they will pay sister and I direct once we have a death certificate, dads policy is very small and not enough to pay for a funeral which is why the plan was set up. Insurance company don't require to see death certificate just details from it, choice is one sister receives all and then gives other half or they can make equal separate payments once they have necessary details and permission if all paid to one so best we apply separately. I am beginning to feel overwhelmed with responsibility with dealing with all this. I did do paperwork for dad when mum passed but was easier as dad was still here and payments just went to joint account and dad remained in their home.

Quite contrary

Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
There is a very useful government website - What to do when someone dies: step by step, which also includes the Tell us Once Service. It might help to ease some stress?

Havemercy

Oct 8, 2012
I haven't heard anything from my sister since dad passed on Tuesday but things need to be sorted so hope someone can advise best way to proceed please. I was contacted today to say that dads death has now been certified and sent to registry office so need to call them to go through the registration process I am Ok to deal with that as have a idea what information they need. I have called TV licence people and a refund is being sent as dads licence due to run until July 2021 he's backdating refund to when dad went to CH but not sure now if guy is sending the cheque in dads name which looking online I'm not sure if bank will accept? guy did take my name so maybe cheque will have my name on and can sort out payment with sister, he is sending cheque to dads address. My sister had already said for any post to be redirected to me as she didn't want dads post. I had set up a redirection of post recently and post should be coming to me now.
My sister doesn't want to hand over dads house back to council yet as still some house stuff to go through and charity's won't go into house to collect large items such as furniture etc so I don't know how long she wants to keep house on bearing in mind dad hasn't been there since 23/11/20 although we had not had confirmation if dad would be sent home after assessment by ASC so rent has been coming out of dads account. I would assume the bank will need informing soon/now that dad has passed obviously our POA is no longer valid and if sister insists house is still rented surely bank won't pay the council if informed dad is deceased as rent paid by Direct Debit same with Council Tax. The same also applies for utility bills all direct debit, phone is not needed so I can cancel but electric, gas as ( don't want burst pipes if cold ) and water needed to clean up. Its getting complicated especially as sister not speaking with me. My sister hasn't even asked about any funeral arrangements that will need to be made but I have a phone appointment booked for Monday at 10am to make arrangements. Dad has a Funeral Plan so mostly its the details of date and more personnel details to sort such as clothing for dad.
I have no idea if Covid will be on dads certificate as he had a positive test last week but was not the direct cause of dads passing so am expecting the certificate to say Advanced Dementia with possibility of Covid being added. I know if they put Covid on the certificate the funeral home is unlikely to let us see dad in Chapel Of Rest and he won't be able to have his own clothes taken in as I had asked at the time the Funeral Plan was set up in October. The insurance company have said that they will pay sister and I direct once we have a death certificate, dads policy is very small and not enough to pay for a funeral which is why the plan was set up. Insurance company don't require to see death certificate just details from it, choice is one sister receives all and then gives other half or they can make equal separate payments once they have necessary details and permission if all paid to one so best we apply separately. I am beginning to feel overwhelmed with responsibility with dealing with all this. I did do paperwork for dad when mum passed but was easier as dad was still here and payments just went to joint account and dad remained in their home.
Hi Wildflowerlady - I remember feeling similarly overwhelmed when mum died - even more difficult for you in this pandemic. Just a thought - have you informed the Department of Work and Pensions about your dad passing so they stop paying his state pension ( you should be able to mention the Attendance Allowance at the same time if he were getting it). I only mention this as a distant family member didn't tell the DWP when his wife died and he carried on getting pension for a couple for quite a few years. When he himself died there was quite a big chunk of money to pay back. Best wishes to you at this sad time.

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
I used the Tell us once service when mum passed as dad couldn't deal with anything so pretty sure they do contact DWP dad has a Post Office Pension so I assume they need telling separately. I will call Registry Office now as want to get that bit done. The fact sister wants to hang onto dads council house to give more time to clear it is what I think is stressing me out most as once bank informed all payments going out will cease or at least that is my assumption.

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Thanks everyone I now have an appointment booked for Monday to register dads death and have also called phone company, TV licence company, dads post office pension company so am actually getting a bit sorted now. I have information needed to use Tell us once service and documents to hand which Registrar will need on Monday.
Hi Wildflowerlady - I remember feeling similarly overwhelmed when mum died - even more difficult for you in this pandemic. Just a thought - have you informed the Department of Work and Pensions about your dad passing so they stop paying his state pension ( you should be able to mention the Attendance Allowance at the same time if he were getting it). I only mention this as a distant family member didn't tell the DWP when his wife died and he carried on getting pension for a couple for quite a few years. When he himself died there was quite a big chunk of money to pay back. Best wishes to you at this sad time.
Thank you @Havemercy my sister had actually informed the AA people when dad went into the CH. I will use the Tell us once service via the registry office on Monday for DWP and anything else that they can sort.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
You may find a clause in dads tenancy agreement, about giving up the tenancy. You may not have choices in ime frame.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
with my council you have to give 4 weeks notice for council house but maybe check with the particular council on their policies especially around covid. make sure any missing doors etc are put back because they will charge you for replacements. its why we have to wait for council adaptations for our council instead of doing it ourselves as we would have to replace it when we leave

Lemondrizzle

Aug 26, 2018
It is possible the tell us once service includes the housing department. I will try to dig out MIL's papers tonight to check. I know with our council that any council tax and/or housing benefit stop immediately on death and the full rate has to be paid from then on. I am anticipating a mad rush when my auntie dies to clear her house as I am expecting to be given a maximum of four weeks grace.