Are there Other options - instead of a care home?

AmandaJones

Sep 14, 2021
Thank you for your reply. My mother would be a self funder. They are currently both in hospital, but theoretically once stepdad is recovered from heart opp they can return.
They live in a bungalow ( moved in 2 weeks ago) it has a room where a carer could sleep with en suite.
Is 24 hour care literally 24 hours? Do the carers do eveything for the person in their care - or are they flexible. Did your elderly friend want care - I fear my mother will not WANT care even though she needs it.
Hi. This is a mirror image of my Mum's situation. She was diagnosed with mixed dementia early last year and after a couple of falls at home, ended up in hospital. She was released back home with carer visits 3x day (funded by the NHS for 2 weeks to assess the situation). Mum continued to have falls between the carer visits and each time the carer found her they had to call an ambulance as they are not allowed to help her up. This repeated itself approx. 3 times and after the last hospital visit, Mum was sent to an NHS care home on a discharge to assess basis. I have to say, the home wasn't great. Whilst it was a 'safe' environment for Mum, she was not offered any one to one care, so didn't eat, lost lots of weight and had her walking frame taken away from her to prevent her wandering into other people's rooms. I wholly disagreed with this final point. I had no choice but to move Mum to a private care home 3 weeks ago and I felt extremely pressurised by the assigned social worker to sort it out. Now we are pursuing a CHC assessment at the private home, but I'm afraid in the meantime we are paying a mere £1400 per week for the care. Mum had the option of live-in carers, but this was indeed 24/7 and I couldn't see a benefit.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
they shouldnt take the frame away as thats a falls risk and can actually be deprivation of liberties because they are restricting her freedom by taking the frame away.

AmandaJones

Sep 14, 2021
they shouldnt take the frame away as thats a falls risk and can actually be deprivation of liberties because they are restricting her freedom by taking the frame away.
Oh, I know! There was a board on her wall that initially said 'to walk with frame under supervision'. After a week or so, the 'under supervision' part was erased. Along with her frame! I did kick up a stink to be honest as I said it was wholly wrong for the home to confiscate her frame and therefore pretty much confine her to bed, just because staff didn't have the time or inclination to supervise her. The system is a mess.

purpledaffodil

Dec 16, 2021
I have experience of both live-in care and care homes. My father had live in care for 17 years following a major brain haemorrhage which left him both physically and cognitively very disabled (unable to walk, loss of mental capacity - like a severe stroke. He did NOT have dementia or the particular challenges that poses). We continued the arrangement after he died in 2020 as my Mum was by then clearly not safe to be alone in the house. Her physical health and dementia deteriorated severely in May last year after a fall. She was cared for at home for about 2 months before we moved her to a care home.

So…

24/7 live-in care can definitely be an option. It is similar in cost to a care home, but can be more expensive if you need a second carer to cover breaks or help with hoisting. It worked well for my Dad when he had my Mum there as well. She could oversee his care, manage the carers and the house etc… As her health deteriorated - with what I now recognise as early stage dementia for last 3 years or so - having carers in the house who could also support her was invaluable.

For 1-1 care and attention - really personalised care - nothing beats live in care from regular, dedicated carers.

If BOTH your dad and your mum need support then it might be an option. Our set up was quite flexible. We would pay extra when occasionally the carers needed to be up at night . They worked 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. They got a break of 3 hours proper non-working time every day. Aside from that their hours were flexible.

That said… it is hard work for the carers. Finding good ones is hard. Your home is “occupied” 24 hours a day. If the relationship gets tricky neither you nor the carer have any way to decompress like you would in a job where you work a shift and then go home. You are managing staff, even with a care agency involved. My Mum found it very very stressful at times, but to her it was worth it to have Dad at home.

It was much more difficult once it was just my Mum on her own, esp as she really needed a second carer for transfers, breaks etc. With no family near (I live about 4 hours away), and living in a big old house that needs quite a lot of maintenance, it just wasn’t sustainable for us. IF we’d lived close by then I think we would have continued it. But we were def in just waiting for the crisis to happen.

In your particular case I would worry about your Dad too. A respite stay in a care home
for your Mum so your Dad can have some recovery time sounds very sensible. Then if Mum is settled in the CH and your Dad is OK without support himself that may be the best option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL