Are symptoms worse with bad diet/antibiotics?

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Good Evening everyone

A strange question but something I need some help with. Has anyone else noticed worsening of memory loss symptoms with poor diet and antibiotics. My father is showing signs of early AD. He was doing "OK" and not needing intensive help for me. However, recently he was prescribed another strong course of antibiotics for a long standing leg ulcer. The difference in the amount of support he needed was significant. I had to talk him step by step through many simple daily tasks.

Since finishing the antibiotics he seems to be "more himself".

I have an assessment booked with SS next week for ascertain whether dad can have meals on wheels. This has been agreed by the GP as a sensible step forward if dad is not eating properly.

It is possible that diet also affects memory loss symptoms.

Thank you

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It is possible that diet also affects memory loss symptoms.

It is possible but I don`t think it`s been shown. Of course there are many who believe `you are what you eat` and we are being told daily of the benefits of a good diet.
But with advancing age and illness, the body doesn`t function as efficiently as it did when it was younger, so the nutrition provided by food mught not be metabolised as it was. Some begin to take food supplements to give extra `nourishment` but the benefits are debatable.

However, recently he was prescribed another strong course of antibiotics for a long standing leg ulcer. The difference in the amount of support he needed was significant.

Would this be because he was taking anti-biotics, or because his body was suffering infection?

We look for reasons...........:confused:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I think it's generally accepted that diet affects the body's ability to fight infection. I know when John has an infection, they ensure that he has as much protein as possible, and when he's unable to eat, they supplement with Fortisip. His dementia symptoms are very much worse when he has the infection.

If your dad is prone to infections, it might strengthen your case for meals on wheels.