Are assessments necessary

mickeyplum

Feb 22, 2018
My husband was diagnosed with VD 3 years ago though he'd failed a memory test 4 years earlier. I understand there is no treatment and he only sees the GP very occasionally usually for his heart check-up. He also sees a lung consultant annually as he has a slow growing cancer.
Apart from increasing memory loss and his dependency me, he has no real problems, but someone asked me what the resuts of his assessments are. He has neverhad one since diagnosis. Should I press for these or am I wastingmy time and causing him needless anxiety?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
If you are both coping then ignore others.

An assessment and diagnosis would be helpful if you wanted to claim Attendance Allowance or reduced council tax but otherwise not necessary. Do you have POA in case it is needed eventually?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
A couple of years ago my wife was seen by her Consultant at the clinic and I was told after her consultation that she wasn't tested again as to do so would just be cruel.

Last year we had a crisis and my wife was tested after that. I had suggested that my wife was no longer safe to go out alone and the test showed that, amongst other things, my wife could no longer recall her address. The medics then confirmed my suggestion and triggered day care provision.

The bottom line with me is to test when circumstances suggest that it is required to guide future care but ignore non medical 'others'.

I wish you strength @mickeyplum.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers at the memory clinic and was later started on donepezil. After this she had no further assessments at the memory clinic.

If you have a diagnosis, you dont need anything else to be able to claim for Attendance Allowance and then Council Tax disregard. You can also get a Social Services needs assessment without further memory clinic assessments (in fact, you dont even need a diagnosis).

Why do other people want to know what his assessment is? You know better than anyone what his dementia is like.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
I'm all for doing the kindest thing and avoiding anxiety wherever possible. If you feel your husband doesn't need it, no need to put him (or you) through it.

mickeyplum

Feb 22, 2018
Thank you all so much. It's so reassuring to be able to call on you whenever a little doubt - am I doing the right thing, is it enough? - creeps into my mind.
Sometimes it seems as though complete strangers on Talking Point understand my situation more than close family and friends.
This is not to critisize anyone . Before I had personal experience of dementia I believed that by listening and lending a sympathetis ear to a carer like myself, I'd really tapped into what they were going through. i was so wrong.
Yes I do have POA and also have attendance allowance and reduced council tax