APPROACHING END WITH MUM : EVERY DAY IS DIFFERENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Thinking of you jezzer at this time. I don't have any wise words to add, I was lucky in that mum recognised us right up to the last few days really, and I will always hold dear the kiss she blew me as I left her for the last time, even then not knowing I wouldn't see her again.
Hold onto those happy memories, I have wallowed in those since mum died and it's helped me a lot. But above all else know your mum knows you love her and take care of yourself , these days or weeks or months are so traumatic.
Xx
Oh Thank You so much for your kind words @malengwa. This has happened just once before and then the recognition returned so I'm hoping that may happen again. If it doesn't then I will hold on to precious moments. Only a couple of weeks ago when I told her I loved her, she managed to say "and I love my little girl" - that was a wonderful moment even though Im 61!!! I'm so sorry you've lost your mum and I send love and best wishes to you. I really do appreciate your post. Thank You again. x

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
(((hugs))) Jezzer. Hoping for a better visit for you and your Mum today.
Or at least some peace for you while you sit with her. I'm sure she'll feel the love from you and that will give her comfort.
With empathy and love xxx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Thank you so much @Prudence9. I am certain now that through the fog of Dementia, mum feels the love, gratitude and respect I have for her. I feel the love from her and nothing, not even this dreadful illness, can break our deep bond. I will face whatever today brings lifted by the kindness, understanding of support of friends like you. Thank God for TP. xx

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Oh @Jezzer I am so sad for you to experience that but as others say take comfort in the fact that your mum has had moments of clarity & the good times & hold onto them.
I am lucky in the fact that my mum has always recognised me so far but I know that the day will come when she may not. Big hugs xxxxx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Thank you so much. This has happened once before and recognition returned so fingers crossed. If not then I will continue to sit with mum, tell her how much I love her and hold her hand. I love her and I know she loves me and nothing can ever take that away. Take care. With Love xxxx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Hello all
I just have to tell you about something that has just happened. I know my emotions are somewhat raw right now but I'm calm so far this morning. I have just been getting myself sorted and was ready to put on my favourite earrings I took off last night and put on my dressing table. Nowhere to be found. I calmly looked for them but no, they'd gone. I put on another pair and came down to make a coffee. Realised I'de left my mobile in my bedroom so went back to get them. My "missing" earrings were on the dressing table, in plain sight. They were definitely not there earlier. Now I'm pretty realistic but also quite spiritual. I believe we are all spiritual beings having a human experience and that when our bodies finally give up, our spirits live on. I know many people think this is rubbish and I have no problem with that. I respect everyone's right to believe or not whatever they wish. Sorry, I'm rambling but what I want to say is, for me this is a sign, maybe from my late OH, Dad or maybe even mum. Who knows? I just sense I am being looked after. Thanks for letting me share this xxxx
ps Please don't request the men in white coats come for me!

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Jezzer, I've had things gone missing and searched several times in the same place and then gone back and found it. So no need to send for 'the men in white coats'.

And yes take reassurance from the fact that someone is looking after you. :)

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
‘Spiritual beings having a human experience’ . I love that @Jezzer

I’m no longer sure of my precise beliefs, but like @lemonjuice , I’d take comfort that someone is looking after you xxx

Myo

Jun 1, 2018
Hampshire
Wow, tremendous post @Hazara8
Thank you so much, you reinforce what I feel in my bones to be true xx
Dementia poses so may problems by the sheer nature of the disease. In as much as we can never be wholly sure as to what are the perceptions or feelings which our loved ones experience. But the bond which exists between say, a mother and daughter, that remains intact. The 'mask' of dementia can promote confusion and a sense of alienation, when recognition fails. We feel suddenly 'removed' for the very first time, from the person we know and cherish. That can be very hard. It can be equally challenging when the one we love exhibits aggression directly at us, or even demands that you 'get out' of the room. And then, maybe a few hours later or less, a completely different 'person' is smiling warmly at you as if nothing untoward had taken place. This one sees every day in the Care Home.

But somewhere, deep down inside, the authentic person is living their life. The brain has been damaged and the
behaviour accordingly seems to contradict all of that. But as we know that all behaviour is by way of 'communication', even when aggression takes place, that is a very important fact to retain at all times. Dementia seems to enhance what might go unseen through 'normal' eyes. Posture, tone of voice, the way you walk across a room, all of these things are perceived through dementia eyes in such a way as to constantly surprise one. This is not always appreciated by Carers as they go about their duties, so often under much pressure. But it is a truth. So too with recognition or otherwise. The dementia dictates all the rules and you cannot object to it nor question it, simply because it will not understand.

But then we come to something fundamental and very true. The innate power of humanity - devoid of any desire or self-fulfilment, removed from the mundane day-to-day pattern of life - a power which really knows no bounds, because it is ancient and timeless and it inhabits us all. It goes beyond the actuality of any disposition, event or the specific individual subject to dementia with all its implications. And when you take hold of someone's hand and help them up from the ground, it is there. When you see someone in distress, in whatever part of the world, it is there. It is there in the young mother's eyes when she tucks up her child in bed and when the grandmother cradles her baby grandchild for the very first time. And it is there also, despite the 'face' of dementia which might gaze upon you blankly or seem to ignore you, or perhaps reject you. Because it goes beyond all of that. It is profound and it is real. And even without words, when you take hold of a hand, frail and tender as it might be, there is 'communication' between you and that other person. Nothing can take that away.

It was there, as it had always been, the morning my late mother died. In the early hours she awoke, as she always did, just a little frightened, her eyes closed, me in a hospital reclining chair beside her bed. And for a brief moment, with her hand held tightly in my own, she opened her eyes, looked at me and spoke clearly, calmly, meaningfully, as if the dementia had been somehow spirited away. Then, she closed her eyes again and her words became inaudible, as she lay back on her pillow, never to regain consciousness again. Her hand held in my own, until the end of her journey came to pass.

Nothing can ever take away that innate truth, which exists even when viewed through clouded eyes. And there is tremendous comfort in that, because nobody can change it nor claim it as their own.

Thank you such profound words and so true you have helped me this morning when things have become just a little bit worse for my mum, feeling sad but comforted by others experiencing similar

Scouts girl

Jan 18, 2017
Hello all
I just have to tell you about something that has just happened. I know my emotions are somewhat raw right now but I'm calm so far this morning. I have just been getting myself sorted and was ready to put on my favourite earrings I took off last night and put on my dressing table. Nowhere to be found. I calmly looked for them but no, they'd gone. I put on another pair and came down to make a coffee. Realised I'de left my mobile in my bedroom so went back to get them. My "missing" earrings were on the dressing table, in plain sight. They were definitely not there earlier. Now I'm pretty realistic but also quite spiritual. I believe we are all spiritual beings having a human experience and that when our bodies finally give up, our spirits live on. I know many people think this is rubbish and I have no problem with that. I respect everyone's right to believe or not whatever they wish. Sorry, I'm rambling but what I want to say is, for me this is a sign, maybe from my late OH, Dad or maybe even mum. Who knows? I just sense I am being looked after. Thanks for letting me share this xxxx

I lost my lovely mum nearly 8 months ago and find it so difficult to think that I will never see or hear her lovely Scottish voice again. I am not religious and quite sceptic about spiritual happenings but I can honestly say that at times I feel she is with me. I dream a lot about her, thankfully the dreams are before she succumbed to dementia so I am trying to take comfort in the hope that she is looking down on me and that in time I will smile about the wonderful memories we shared and not be so sad. We had a very loving mother/daughter relationship although at times, after she moved into her care home, it was difficult as she was so upset with me that I had to take the doctors advice to move her and because of her illness she couldn’t understand this. BUT, I hope in her own way she did forgive me.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Many Thanks folks for your replies.

Well, I am once again blindsided (but in a good way) by Dementia.

I walked into mum' CH earlier and was greeted by a Carer who said "Morning Jan, have your ears been burning?". " Er no, why? " I replied. Came this response - "well your mum has been talking about you and saying Jan will sort it". Whaaa????? Couldn't get to mum's room quick enough. She was sitting up in bed, I got that gorgeous smile and she said "Ah, I love my little girl". I put my arms around her and said "I love you too, you're the best mum in the world". Huge smile and the reply "am I?". When I started this Thread and added "Every day is different" little did I know how very true that would be. Mum was a totally different person today. Thereafter followed speech which made no sense whatsoever right up to me leaving but no matter. She was laughing, smiling and whatever was going on in her mind was clearly happy. I am still processing what happened but for a few minutes I had mum "back" and, oh how lovely. So,I must follow my own advice i.e. take each day as it comes. Visit with no expectations and respond to this precious lady as her condition on that day happens to be. I will always hold her hand and tell her I love her whether she is responsive or not. An emotional rollercoaster it certainly is but my brother and I will stay on this bumpy ride until its final journey. Thank you all for your continued friendship and support. Sending Love xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s never over until it is over Jezzer. We can presume nothing.

So glad you had some quality time with your mum after being full of despair.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
It's such a rollercoaster of emotions. We can't get off and it never goes where we expect it to. I hope you experience many more happy visits and less of the sad ones.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
It's such a rollercoaster of emotions. We can't get off and it never goes where we expect it to. I hope you experience many more happy visits and less of the sad ones.
Thank you so much Soobee, you are absolutely right. I do appreciate your kind post x

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
How beautiful and unexpected for you @Jezzer x
oh @Carmar it really was. It's almost as if mum knew how distraught I felt yesterday and from somewhere deep inside, found a way to comfort me. The day began oddly with the earrings but when that was happening, I experienced a sense of calmness I've not felt since mum got so ill. It's been a strange, but really positive, day today. We all know the inevitable will happen but how precious these "gifts" are. The whole experience thus far has very much changed the way I feel about so many things. Thank you so much for your reply xx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Thank you such profound words and so true you have helped me this morning when things have become just a little bit worse for my mum, feeling sad but comforted by others experiencing similar
@Myo Yes Wasnt it a marvellous post from @Hazara8. It brought me enormous comfort. I'm so sorry about your mum. Sending love and wishing you strength. Take care x

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hello all
No, no, with you all the way, with you and so believe in what you are saying. Oh my darling girl, what an experience. Why should it be rubbish? Our spirits do not die with our body. Oh my love, what a thing to happen. And I don't care if this sounds trite, our earrings are such an important expressive part of who we are, so honour what you are saying. Wow!! all love, Geraldinexxxxx

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
Jezzer, I have been so moved by your thread and feel so much for you..My dad passed away some years ago now,and he had Alzheimer’s / a treatable cancer and in a nursing home , there where many scares when I was called in because he was at the end but he rallied every time. Then I was with him one early morning and he opened his eyes and asked why I was upset and I told him I was worried about him , he smiled held my hand and said don’t worry about me I’m fine Ann. My dad had always called me Babs my mum was Ann( passed away 15 years earlier.) so I think maybe I was mum, he fell unconscious and passed away just after.but I treasure that time I had with him
Im sorry to have gone on a bit .sending love and hugs take care Ann

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Oh Thank You Ann for sharing such a private, precious and moving moment. No apology is needed. You haven't gone on a bit at all. All the messages I'm fortunate to receive are so important to me and so appreciated. What a precious time and something nobody can take away from you. Thank you again. Love and Hugs xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abelbeyene2015