Appointeeship / Deputy What are the Alternatives

nimby001

Sep 16, 2020
I will Try to be brief. My Mother in Law suffers from Dementia and can no longer look after her own affairs. My wife was asked to apply for an Appointeeship which is currently going through. Mum who was admitted to hospital with medical complications and was transferred to a care home where she got the aftercare she needed as she was in no fit state to be sent back home. Mum does not own her own house my wife has been asked to apply to become a deputy. Mum has has some savings.
Mum has been asked to pay a weekly figure from her pension until her financial assistance has been calculated which amounts to her pension plus a top up figure. There are also fees to be paid when applying to become a deputy as well as yearly fees. We cannot have access to her savings account until my wife is appointed as deputy which can take up to 16 weeks. Has anyone else found a solution for making the various payments in the same predicament

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @nimby001

I didn’t have to take out deputyship but my dad did for mum and I believe he was allowed to make some interim payments from her account. Hopefully someone who knows how things work will be along soon.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
As Bunpoots says, if you ask the court for interim payments when, or after, the application then the court will usually do this, although I dont have personal experience of this.

nimby001

Sep 16, 2020
We have been helped out by one the Banks but funds have dried up we have delayed applying for deputyship until now we need to settle outstanding care home invoices. Mum has had a Mental Capacity Assessment by a social worker, we have completed all the Court of Protection forms and asked her to complete part B of COP3 but she has refused to do it. Any ideas most appreciated.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Its becoming increasingly hard to get someone to complete the COP3.
You may have to get an independent SW to do it. If you google you should be able to find one

nimby001

Sep 16, 2020
Good idea I will go down that route as a last resort the savings are being gobbled up by care home fees and outstanding Council fees. All and sundry seem to see my Mother in laws savings as a cash cow. What do think of trying the witness statement route COP24?

KAT365

Oct 19, 2016
When I applied to the COP to become a deputy, I used a national mental capacity assessment service which at the time cost about the same as the Deputyship fees (5 years ago). Having just checked the company concerned website, it appears they now usually do remote assessment by zoom or similar. I paid the fees and then was able to claim them back from my PWD's accounts (with permission of the COP). I hope all goes smoothly once the wheels are set in motion. Good luck!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @nimby001
maybe have a chat with an advisor on the support line as they have a lot of knowledge of legal issues