Appointee of benefits - useful information and telephone number

Emily M

Jan 20, 2015
I requested information about Power of Attorney a little while ago and got some very helpful replies from other members. However, I thought it is worth sharing this useful information I have just received about being an Appointee of Benefits on a separate post.

The situation is as follows. My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's nearly 2 years ago. At the time my step father used to take her to the building society to draw out money to go towards household bills. Lately her condition has become much worse and she is not contributing to household expenses at all, so her attendance allowance and pension is not being touched.

I requested the Power of Attorney forms on-line over a month ago to be sent to their address and they have only just arrived. As her mental capacity has deteriorated greatly there is some doubt as to whether PoA will be granted and it may be necessary to go to the Court of Protection which may take 3 months and cost around £400.

I have just been speaking to a very helpful lady at the Department of Work and Pensions who told me that my step father can apply to be an Appointee of Benefits and receive welfare benefits on her behalf even if my mother has lost mental capacity. It takes about 2 weeks to arrange a home visit and my mother and her husband are interviewed to assess whether or not she is capable of organising her finances (which she is not). She gave me a telephone number for my mother's local branch.

There are a lot of extra costs incurred with Mum's condition and her husband has been unable to draw on her money to help with these costs. Particularly useful as her attendance allowance might be increased soon. Even the Social Worker didn't mention this. This seems too good to be true.

The number I contacted the Visiting Team on is:--

0800 9179149

Hope others find this useful.

Emily M

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I have been an appointee for my husband for some years. His state pension went into our joint account so stayed that way but I could have had it paid into another account if I wanted. It does of course only entitle you to control DWP money.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Something to note: your father will have to have your mother's pensions and benefits paid into either a joint account which he can access, or use an account where he has sole access.

Emily M

Jan 20, 2015
Something to note: your father will have to have your mother's pensions and benefits paid into either a joint account which he can access, or use an account where he has sole access.

Thanks Jennifer. I am fairly sure they have a joint account. He certainly has one he can access. The money has been paid into her building society account up to now. I realise that he will have to get PoA or CoP to access that.

Emily M

Jan 20, 2015
I have been an appointee for my husband for some years. His state pension went into our joint account so stayed that way but I could have had it paid into another account if I wanted. It does of course only entitle you to control DWP money.

Thanks jaymor. I don't think she has any other money coming in from private sources. It will certainly make a big difference when paying household bills.