1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Weds 28 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 28 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Applying for deputyship - problems getting CoP3

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Kelly84, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Kelly84

Kelly84 Registered User

Jun 1, 2019
    Hi, we’ve started the process to apply for deputyship but we can’t find someone to give the CoP3 form confirming mum lacks capacity!

There is no doubt she lacks capacity- we have a number of assessments from social workers and doctors confirming this - she is currently in hospital as they’re going through the DoL process for her.

But the social worker and ward doctors are saying they can’t provide the court form for us but haven’t given us a good reason why. Is this because of a conflict of interest or something? Has anyone found a way round this? We are going to try her GP but think they may not do it as she’s in hospital

2. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Hello @Kelly84
    This seems to be becoming an increasing problem. People seems to be increasingly reluctant to sign this form. I was lucky as mums SW signed mums - her GP refused to do it.
    If you have already tried your mums social worker and the hospital doctors, then you have gone down the routes that I would normally expect to find someone to sign. Do you know who did her capacity test for the DoLs? Have you tried that particular person?

If you cant get anyone to sign it at the hospital you can get an Independent SW, or an Independent Capacity Assessor (google will tell you who is in your area) who will sign the form, but it will cost.

3. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    My husband was in hospital at the time and his consultant psychiatrist signed it with no problem at all and with no payment involved.
    Whoever assessed your mother should surely agree to sign it.

4. silversea2020

silversea2020 Registered User

May 12, 2019
    It will be the Consultant/Doctor who carried out the actual assessment who will need to complete/sign form etc ....I guess the hospital won’t tell you directly due to patient confidentiality reasons (your mum being their patient etc), frustrating...however, your mums GP will know so I would contact the practice but I would request in writing