Applying for Blue Badge

Kerry-Jane

Feb 9, 2004
Surrey
Following on from Jackie W's posting on mobility. Whilst my mum was in Atkinson Morley for diagnosis recently, the Hospital Social Worker advised my Dad to apply for a blue badge to aid parking etc. Whilst my mum is still very physically fit and able to walk, she cannot be left alone as she is easily distracted and needs constant supervision. He therefore cannot drop her off for an appointment and go off to find a parking space. And if she gets distressed whilst out and about, sometimes it is impossible to get her to walk anywhere.

On applying for the blue badge an element of it suggests that this is not awarded for mental disability. Dad is also waiting on the mobility section of the Disability Allowance to be awarded as well to see if this would aid his case.

Has anyone else come up against a similar brick wall?

Nel

Mar 24, 2004
warrington
Blue Badge

After Dad was diagnosed with AD I applied for a blue badge as there is never any room to park at the local hospital, and it is so difficult getting him in and out of the car. Completed the application form with the relative details of AD and the badge was with me within a few weeks with no problems, also had the backing of our GP. Still have trouble parking though as the number of people who park in the blue badge zone without displaying a badge are numerous. I have complained to the hospital, they say they are reviewing their procedures regarding patrolling the blue badge areas, have yet to see any improvement.

Nel

jackie w

Jan 4, 2004
devon
Like kerry-jane I was told to apply for a blue badge and on reading the literature believed that it was unavailable for mental health reasons .I have applied anyway for my dad as he has oestearthritis in both knees but would be interested to know if anyone has got a blue badge in case he is denied one.

emscub

Dec 5, 2003
Bath
Hi Kerry-Jane,

We've recently managed to get a blue-badge for my Nan. We were declined on our first application few years ago, but on advice from the doctor and psychiatrist we applied again. This time we included a letter from the psychiatrist stating that Nan needed constant supervision and also included that the illness has been linked to walking problems. I'm not sure what made the difference this time around but we got it.

Oh, and I found it neatly tucked down by the side of my Nan's chair - none of us knew it had arrived! Why do they insist on posting everything to her? I know it's to do with confidentiality issues but it means that if we don't get to the post in time we might not ever see things again and it's not like the badge is actually going to be used by her!

Hope that helps.

Emma

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Originally posted by Kerry-Jane
Following on from Jackie W's posting on mobility. Whilst my mum was in Atkinson Morley for diagnosis recently, the Hospital Social Worker advised my Dad to apply for a blue badge to aid parking etc. Whilst my mum is still very physically fit and able to walk, she cannot be left alone as she is easily distracted and needs constant supervision. He therefore cannot drop her off for an appointment and go off to find a parking space. And if she gets distressed whilst out and about, sometimes it is impossible to get her to walk anywhere.

On applying for the blue badge an element of it suggests that this is not awarded for mental disability. Dad is also waiting on the mobility section of the Disability Allowance to be awarded as well to see if this would aid his case.

Has anyone else come up against a similar brick wall?

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
blue badges

Hi, just browsing when I noticed your query. My Lionel was in the same position, i.e. could walk quite well some days. However I had the same problem about dropping him off for appointments, and his spacial awareness is such that we do need to have the door opened as wide as possible. This you get with the disabled parking bays. Out doctor did not think Lionel qualified, but I insisted on applying. We were successful, but Lionel is in receipt of mobility allowance. Hope this helps. Connie.