Applying for a Disability Badge

Michael

Feb 12, 2004
I was hoping that someone could help me.

I am trying to assist my grandfather in applying for a disability badge. He suffers from Alzheimer's disease. I have made one application on his bahlf and it has been rejected. The council claimed that his inability to walk was not due to his disability.

I was wondering if anyone has made a successful application for a disability badge and could give me some advice as to how to complete the form.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

Michael

emscub

Dec 5, 2003
Bath
Hi Michael,

I'm sorry I can't give any advice here, but I too would be interested to hear about this as we have also been rejected (twice I believe) for a disability badge. I'm sure I read somewhere that a change in walking style/ability could be linked to alzheimers.

Xx

Michael

Feb 12, 2004
Thanks for replying Emma.

Your info was helpful and I managed to get another paragraph into the application form. Sent the form off now so fingers crossed.

Michael

Angela

May 28, 2003
Wales
Hi
I'm not 100% on this, but I will check it out.
I am quite sure that your illness is almost irrelevant when applying for the disabled badge scheme. Its the fact that you recieve either attendance allowance or disability living allowance that is the criteria for qualifying.

Joy

Jan 18, 2004
Mid Wales
disabled parking

My husband was on higher rate mobility and carers component of DLA. I aslo applied for badge and received one straight away. I did state that my husbands illness was a physical illness because his brain was dying and this should not be classed as a psychological illness. Hope you have some luck. Joy

emscub

Dec 5, 2003
Bath
Joy,

I remember reading somewhere that the difference between being eligible for the badge or not, lies in what allowance you/the person you care for receives. If it's disability living allowance then you are likely to qualify for the badge, but if it's attendance allowance then you probably won't qualify. I was led to believe that most people with dementia were given attendance allowance and not disability living allowance, hence not able to claim a badge.

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan