App maybe for person struggling with laptop?

XanderX

May 10, 2022
Not sure this exists but does anyone know of an app or Operating System that eases use for potential Dementia sufferer (she has been persuade to go to GP need to call back everyday until we get an appointment).

Anyway she is struggle with her laptop, keeps getting confused. My parents have both a Chromebook and Windows laptop available so ideas for either to make this more straight forwarded. I'm fairly tech savvy so if anyone knows of anything I'm happy to install it and set it up I'm just not sure what I'm looking for or if it exists? I'm thinking along the lines of simple icons, only what she needs type of thing.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @XanderX.

I’m sorry to hear about these difficulties. I’ve no techy experience to help you but wondered if there would be anything helpful here -

XanderX

May 10, 2022
Thanks I'll have a look. I've been struggle to search for "the thing" as I really don't know if it's out there. Everything I found so far is for helping with things like remembering (Like calendars, timers). But my Mum is pretty tech savvy which is what I think makes it worse as when she remembers what she's doing she might create two mailboxes for example, she remembers enough to create another mailbox but then forgets why she did that and gets confused. I would like to keep her using a laptop for as long as possible but I'm just not sure best way to help.

WJG

Sep 13, 2020
I’m inclined to suggest that iPads are more intuitive than laptops

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You could try

There are several Linux based OS
however these are designed as introductions to computing whereas what you appear to want is the ability to use high level functions without making a mistake.

Personally I disagree with iPads being more intuitive as I find the OS neither intuitive or logical, it's probably a matter of what you are used to.