Aphasia flash cards

Caro2342

Mar 16, 2023
My husband has been diagnosed as having Alzheimer’s and Aphasia. We struggle to communicate and I have been told there are flash cards available which could help him let me know what he wants to communicate. Does anyone know about these and where I can get them from please?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Caro2342

I’ve no experience of using these cards but I had a look on Amazon just now and they list quite a few for purchase.

I wondered if your husband has had a referral to a Speech and Language Therapist (SALT). SALT should be able to provide this kind of thing for you.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Caro2342.
Is this the sort of thing you were looking for?
This is a very friendly and supportive forum and I'm sure people who have used them or know more about the topic will be along soon with their input.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
My husband has been diagnosed as having Alzheimer’s and Aphasia. We struggle to communicate and I have been told there are flash cards available which could help him let me know what he wants to communicate. Does anyone know about these and where I can get them from please?
We use things called widgets.
They are used for picture exchange ( bring me a picture of the item and I will give you the real item)

So I might prepare a ‘now and next ‘ board with someone.
They choose the activity, task, food, whatever you want.

Don’t forget you can aways make your own by taking photos and buying a cheap laminator. Rolls of Velcro can be purchased from craft shops or online.I actually think photos work well with dementia. So it’s not a generic cartoon type drawing of a bed , it’s a picture of the bed they use.

Also you can laminate photos of the contents of cupboards and stick the laminate on the door. So you can see at a glance what the cupboard contains?
This was a dismal failure with my mother, but nothing ventured, nothing gained!

@Izzy suggestion to contact the salt team is a great idea!

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Thanks for raising this. My mum’s aphasia is progressing and she’s now struggling with sentences which frustrates her. Sometimes she can’t even tell me the food she wants so I shall be thinking how I might be able to use these in the future! Great idea 👍

Caro2342

Mar 16, 2023
Welcome to the forum @Caro2342

I’ve no experience of using these cards but I had a look on Amazon just now and they list quite a few for purchase.

I wondered if your husband has had a referral to a Speech and Language Therapist (SALT). SALT should be able to provide this kind of thing for you.
I have looked at the Amazon ones but they don’t seem to cover enough words. I am waiting for contact with a SALT therapist but as he gets anxious when he can’t make me understand what he wants to tell me, I thought I would try to get some. An alternative would be to try to create some of my own . . .

Caro2342

Mar 16, 2023
We use things called widgets.
They are used for picture exchange ( bring me a picture of the item and I will give you the real item)

So I might prepare a ‘now and next ‘ board with someone.
They choose the activity, task, food, whatever you want.

Don’t forget you can aways make your own by taking photos and buying a cheap laminator. Rolls of Velcro can be purchased from craft shops or online.I actually think photos work well with dementia. So it’s not a generic cartoon type drawing of a bed , it’s a picture of the bed they use.

Also you can laminate photos of the contents of cupboards and stick the laminate on the door. So you can see at a glance what the cupboard contains?
This was a dismal failure with my mother, but nothing ventured, nothing gained!

@Izzy suggestion to contact the salt team is a great idea!
Thanks for that, I will certainly give it a try. Real pictures sounds a good idea, and I have a friend who has a laminator,

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Thanks for that, I will certainly give it a try. Real pictures sounds a good idea, and I have a friend who has a laminator,
A friend used a felt board and pictures glued on to cardboard (you could laminate them) with a small piece of felt on the back to stick on to the board. She used pictures from magazines mostly and her husband and she spent quite a lot of time together choosing and making the pictures.

She would leave a lot on the board for general communication or could reduce the number if she needed him to select an option eg, tea, coffee, juice?

Later, the grandchildren enjoyed playing with it.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
When I was working we used this system in our additional needs support base. Again it might not have the range of words you need -

Perhaps it would be a good idea to make your own so that you have a set designed to meet his needs.