Anyones mum in same stage??

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
Hi,

Is anyones mum in the early stages of dementia here as alot of these threads seem to be very late stage??

My mums memory is FINE she has mental capacity but then shes like in her own little world.

HAsnt cooked in over a year? just makes herself tea? I cook

dosnt go shopping no interest in anything?

Watches tv but not really taking it in?

wont wash?
wearing pyjamas ALL the time even in heat and the winter kind

unaware of danger leaving front door open,

burnt a frying pan

But knows who she is etc.........

Is this early middle just dont know

my neighbours mums memory was last thing to go??

So confusing am just drained with all this:confused:

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
It is very confusing. The truth is that everyone is different. We all decline in different ways and at different speeds.

There have been several threads here about how everybody has some symptoms from one 'stage' and some symptoms from another 'stage'. Nobody conforms completely to any stage.

It doesn't make it easier to care for people - we just muddle along in our house. My husband's memory for some things is like a razor (is and was better than mine ever was) while his memory of other things ( - eg whether he is talking to his son or his father) is not always there.

Carara

May 19, 2013
West Mids,Uk
Your right there Butter

12 months ago My Mil was cooking in her own flat,although Fil did complain about her behaviour she was still able to cook a proper meal and make drinks etc

3 months ago stayed with hubby and I as Fil passed away

3 weeks ago was driving me crazy with abuse :mad:

2 weeks ago stayed in bed and never got up

Mil gone downhill so fast its unbelievable

All since Fil passed away but she doesn`t realise he`s gone :confused:

x x x

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
Carara,

Sorry to ask this when you are facing the end as you are, but just wanted to ask how your MIL took to her bed, did she just refuse to get up, not want to get up or unable to get up?

My mother needs quite alot of physical help and some days I wonder if we didn't help and encourage she might just stay there. She once told me some months back that she was adamant that she wanting to stay in this house (her's - which we have moved into) even if she became bed-ridden.

So at least I know that I have to stay till the end, but just wonder how I will know when she can't/won't get up out of her bed.

I do hope this won't be too upsetting for you to think back to, and if it is, please just ignore.

Carara

May 19, 2013
West Mids,Uk
Hi Pennie

One morning My Mil just did`nt want to get up and was adamant she was staying put so hubby & I agreed to leave her in bed.

I mentioned this to carers and she`s been there since

Must say it was the easiest solution :confused:

x x x

HelenInBC

Mar 23, 2013
Sounds like my mom is at a similiar stage to yours

Hi Nerak
I have been reading some of your postings and my heart goes out to you with what you are going through. My mom has been diagnosed with dementia- probably from Alzheimer’s disease. Did you know that it can't be definitely diagnosed? It's really just a guess, based on her symptoms. Normally, physically causes are ruled out once your mom gets assessed. My mom had a few tests done, such as a CT scan, ultrasound of her neck vessels, bloodwork, etc. No physical cause was found, other than some brain atrophy which is typical of AD dementia. (this was 4 years ago for us)
I hope you are able to get some peace of mind out of having your mother seen by the gerontologist. My mom started taking Aricept back then, but had side effects (diarrhea) so was eventually switched to Exelon patches. They say it will help her keep some of her abilities longer, but I have my doubts.

These are some of the symptoms my mother has now:

No longer cooks- she can't follow a recipe and isn't safe to use the cooker.

Forgets to lock her outside door- sometimes falls asleep with it standing open!

Loses things constantly all day long- glasses, keys, purse...

Wakes during the night thinking it is daytime and she has slept too long. She is often confused about the time of day, and the day of the week.

Having constant paranoid thoughts that her boyfriend is breaking up with her.

Having almost daily episodes of incontinence- both urine and stool. Doesn't even realize she is leaking stool at times.

Avoids showering sometimes and needs to be reminded.

Keeps food much too long in her fridge and freezer. Is resistant to letting anyone throw it out, even when it's obviously spoiled.

Gets her grandchildren confused- who belongs to which of her children, thinks my brother's daughter is his girlfriend, things like that.

I just wanted you to know that you're not alone. I'm at the stage where my mom needs nearly constant supervision and I'm arranging 24 hour in-home caregivers for her. She's going to be resistant, but she refuses to move so it's my only option right now.