Anyone recommend a 'tell it like it is' book please?

S Paterson

Dec 1, 2020
Just that really. It would be good to know what to expect and to feel less alone in dealing with it.

Helen7

Dec 1, 2020
I have just read an interesting book by Lee Courtney called 'Bob and his Amaz-on Alzheimer's Adventure". The author has included poetry which adds an extra layer. A very good read.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
If you want 'tell it like it is', I honestly think you can't do better than read posts on this forum.

Here you can learn about all aspects of dementia and what it is like to care for someone with the disease. I don't think there is any problem or issue you could come across that a member here hasn't experienced before you.

Additionally, this is a great place to get support from people who really understand.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
If you want 'tell it like it is', I honestly think you can't do better than read posts on this forum.

Here you can learn about all aspects of dementia and what it is like to care for someone with the disease. I don't think there is any problem or issue you could come across that a member here hasn't experienced before you.

Additionally, this is a great place to get support from people who really understand.
I so agree with you. I can only think of one issue I had that I have never read about here so will put it out as a challenge! my husband used to walk around pulling his duvet behind him like a kind of safety blanket.
I have never seen that mentioned on here. Warmest, Kindred.

Up the Creek

Sep 9, 2020
East Anglia
The one book that I have seen recommended and that I have read is The Selfish Pig’s Guide to Caring by Hugh Marriott. The author became a carer to his wife and the book ‘brings into the open everything he wishes he had be told when he first became a carer’

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
my husband used to walk around pulling his duvet behind him like a kind of safety blanket.
My children have had a 'blankie' of some sort since babies that they carry round the house when upset Until about 10 they retained a cot sheet on their bed for this purpose - now replaced by fleecy blankets - they are 15 and 19 - so links to childhood ???

Lesleeeeeeee

Nov 26, 2020
Perth Scotland
I so agree with you. I can only think of one issue I had that I have never read about here so will put it out as a challenge! my husband used to walk around pulling his duvet behind him like a kind of safety blanket.
I have never seen that mentioned on here. Warmest, Kindred.
My Dad went through a similar thing for a while in care, dragged his bedding with him but he said it was equipment he needed for a job.

Lesleeeeeeee

Nov 26, 2020
Perth Scotland

True, tons of info here but my problem when I was looking for help with that was navigating through all the different threads to find it. Like the poster, I really wanted, hmm, what, maybe an over-arching book that covered it in one place from the outset rather than having to go search out similar experiences (events that were causing upset!) after they had happened. You don’t know what you might need to know and posting a query “what might happen” is such an open-ended question.

Last edited:

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
My children have had a 'blankie' of some sort since babies that they carry round the house when upset Until about 10 they retained a cot sheet on their bed for this purpose - now replaced by fleecy blankets - they are 15 and 19 - so links to childhood ???
Thank you, I do agree. That is so poignant. Kindredx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
True, tons of info here but my problem when I was looking for help with that was navigating through all the different threads to find it. Like the poster, I really wanted, hmm, what, maybe an over-arching book that covers it in one place rather than having to go search out similar experiences. And knowing the info was probably around somewhere, I really didn’t want to post up another query that had already been answered.
But we dont mind!
Kindred

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
I have just read a very powerful novel which touched me deeply, as it reflects what the journey with Dementia feels like for the person with dementia: All the Dancing Birds by Auburn McCanta. If you are interested, please read the reviews on Amazon I couldn't put it better than that.
Everyone who cares for a loved one with Dementia (whether they are hands-on or just peeping in from the outside) should read this. We can all make such a huge difference if we manage to join them in 'their world'. This is a tall order, but very rewarding for all if it can be achieved.

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
More good reads on the subject: Where Memories go by Sally Magnusson and any of Wendy Mitchell's books.
There are lots of recommendations in the regular magazine from the Alzheimer's Society, 'Dementia Together'.

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
I would also recommend The Selfish Pigs Guide.
It suited my sense of humour and brought a little bit of light relief to a very dark situation.

SeaGirl

Nov 23, 2023
Wendy Mitchell's books are superb, but there is also one I read ages ago (actually way before dementia became a reality in our lives). This is 'Little Girl in the Radiator: Mum, Alzheimer's and Me' by Martin Slevin. This retains a sense of humour through the book, which is something I feel all of us dealing with this b***d disease need.

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Welcome to this forum AmaJ. I am sure you will find lots of information and support here, as I did when I first joined (and ever since!)
Please try not to overload on information though. We have a great deal in common on this forum, but all our journeys are individual, so don't put yourself under any pressure - there are often many different ways of viewing and solving a problem.
As for books and literature, there is a huge amount available both in print and online. I have always found that knowledge is power and if you read something that resonates with you, it can be very reassuring and uplifting.
Lots of love and good luck, you are not alone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jorbla