Anyone moved a loved one from EMI nursing to general nursing?

marsaday

Mar 2, 2012
I just posted this in reply to another poster but thought I'd ask the question on a new thread.

Quick re-cap: My Mum started off in supported living and after a year moved to EMI nursing as she had a high level of anxiety/paranoia and always wanted someone with her. Now she has been over 6 months in this home and has had some seizures resulting in her being on more medication.

As she is so doped up all the time she no longer has behavioural issues and her mobility is nearly gone. I have discussed moving her. The home is obviously full of quite advanced dementia sufferers and is not always an easy place to visit. I don't think Mum has particularly great bonds with any of the staff, though one woman has befriended her and seems quite attached to her (but don't think that goes both ways).The manager agrees that she would probably be ok in general nursing as her physical needs are now overtaking her dementia. But it's a big upheaval. Though I hate to think of her in an EMI unit if it's not absolutely necessary, I'd hate to move her and it all go wrong. What if they couldn't cope? Has anyone moved parent successfully from EMI to general nursing as they deteriorated physically?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
At first sight it seems to be a good idea.

Then the second thoughts come into play.
Is she happy where she is? Forget if it's stressful for you
Are you satisfied with the care she is getting?
Is the home convenient for visiting, do you have a good rapport with all levels of staff?
Is your Mum likely to have a relapse in behaviour? Maybe medication becomes less effective.

As your Mum's dementia progresses she will become less mobile and less aware of her surroundings.

If considering the above you think that the current situation is relatively stable and one you could live with I would be very careful of rocking the boat and ending in a worst situation.

Last edited:

marsaday

Mar 2, 2012
Thank you Nitram-they are all questions going through my head atm.

Is she happy?-not really. On few occasions she can be lucid enough to complain and say what a terrible place it is.
Am I happy with care?-I have reservations and I and other members of family are not particularly at ease in the place but I do accept that EMI nursing is the least easy place to visit .
Good rapport with staff?-A few staff yes-but not a lot.
Is she likely to get worse mentally? -staff say she is one of the best/least demanding on unit. Seems to be getting easier rather than harder to handle compared to 6 months ago.
I suppose it would be up to the prospective homes I have in mind to assess her-they may decide not to risk it.

Thanks again-food for thought

Wirralson

Account Closed
May 30, 2012
Edited out as my comments were irrelevant once I had checked your previous posts. Apologies.

W