Anyone have experience with Alexa TV and controlling from afar?

Toopie28

Jun 7, 2022
I've read that this is the best bet when it comes to "controlling programming from afar" however has anyone had actual experience in doing this?

My mum cannot figure out the remote anymore. It's an easy remote but I'm at the point I need a telly that I can have automatically turn on at a certain time as well as switch channels when I need it to (I can do that part from an app)

Thanks so much!

George N

Jul 22, 2022
Hello I am new to Dementia Talking Point.
My mother has Vascular Dementia and Alzheimers disease which is deteriorating.
We have a LG TV with I can program the electronic TV guide to change the TV channels when Mum's soap programs start (eastenders, cornation st, etc.)
However after 21:00 each night mum likes to watch the American TV shows that are on 5USA, however we live in a location were we only get what is called Freeview lite
(Freeview Lite is a reduced version of Freeview withsignificantly less TV stations than a full Freeview service) so we do not get 5USA on freeview. So i got Mum a second hand Sky box to receive most of the Free Sat channels ( 5USA is one of the free sat channels). Porbably is now is mum having difficultly with two remotes and the sky box can not be programmed to turn channels, it can be programmed to show a reminder, but not actually auto change the channels. I did mix up some super glue with different colour of nail polished and I painted the important buttons on the remote control on the sky controller so that I can tell mum to press the big red button to turn on the Sky box, the pressure yellow to got to channel select and then pressure 141 to go to 5 USA. However I have started noticing that mum is starting to pick the paint off the buttons.

Does anyone konw of a freesat box that can be programmed and which will automatically turn the channels. I did email customerteam@freesat.co.uk to check if they made such a fresat box, but they replied no.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds
George

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Freeview Lite will be from a relay.
Depending on geography it may be possible to get the main signal with high gain, repositioned, and reoriented aerial plus amplifier.
Do aerials in the locality all point in same direction?
Also ask a local aerial installer who might say 'not a chance'.

You can also play around with the freeview channel checker for houses in the area https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/location

try again

Jun 21, 2018
I got my mum a flipper remote that is programmable to control TV and sky box.
It has fewer buttons and is quite simple to use though a bit of a faff to program .

I had to disable the on/off for the box as she was forever getting the TV and box out of sync - one would switch on and the other off and even though it is simple to remedy, it nearly alway meant I had to go visit .
If you put too many channels in it can also take a while to get to the one wanted (especially when pressing up followed by down....sigh).

Not foolproof but certainly helped for a few years

Toopie28

Jun 7, 2022
My mum can't use the flipper.
She can use the normal remote (sometimes) pressing 1 thru 9 only.
I programmed all "good" channels from 1 to 9 but mum now has the attention span of a 3 yr old and gets bored easily. Also due to the dementia, she zones out (her first language is Italian so she's not understanding Corrie or the rest of the soaps anymore)

I colour coded too but she stopped identifying colours.

She also kept pressing the wrong buttons (av/tv) but now I've cut those buttons down and covered all of the remote except numbers 1-9, On button and volume button with bright yellow paper.

Oh I've also had to tie the remote to her chair with a string (she's not amused but that will stop the ghosts from moving it!)

I wonder if a smart TV (prime?) May help? Hope you find a solution.

SammyC

Jan 10, 2023
I've read that this is the best bet when it comes to "controlling programming from afar" however has anyone had actual experience in doing this?

My mum cannot figure out the remote anymore. It's an easy remote but I'm at the point I need a telly that I can have automatically turn on at a certain time as well as switch channels when I need it to (I can do that part from an app)

Thanks so much!
HI Toopie28, I am very interested to know if you tried this and had success. I need a solution to this problem. Mum manages reasonably well but at the moment it's difficult to do a 20-mile round trip just to put the tv on!

Toopie28

Jun 7, 2022
HI Toopie28, I am very interested to know if you tried this and had success. I need a solution to this problem. Mum manages reasonably well but at the moment it's difficult to do a 20-mile round trip just to put the tv on!
Oh I'm sorry - I never did find a solution.
It works on MY tv but I'm in the USA. I didn't want to risk it in case it didn't.
Also, simple remote - there's remotes with 3 buttons - off/on, channel, volume.

I'm actually reading this fantastic blog about a lady that is caring from afar (I don't think I can post the link).
Anyway, one of her suggestions was - there may be a automatic off/on that you can set on the telly?
I'll post as I read more :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petal705