Anyone had to deal with the Coroner?

Ameliasmama

Oct 24, 2015
I'm sorry for starting another thread, but I was wondering if any other TP users had experience of dealing with the coroner after their relatives death? In particular post mortems by an independent pathologist rather than one employed by the hospital trust

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Ameliasmama

Oct 24, 2015
It's ok, I never know where to post that's all. I'm never sure whether to carry on my previous thread, but tonight guessed I might get more response with a different titled post.

My dad passed away on 29th December, the circumstances surrounding his death (the car crash he had 4 weeks previous, transfer to another hospital, and the subsequent care he received in the 2nd hosp) have led the coroner to raise questions and request a post mortem to be carried out by an independent pathologist. It will take place at the hospital he died at but not by any of heir staff. Problem is we was told it would possibly be done today, but never got confirmed so we still can't plan his funeral :(

Ameliasmama

Oct 24, 2015
The cause of death is also in question, heart attack (apparently happened at 2:00pm the day he died, we was with him from 3:30 and it was never mentioned, just a high heart rate) followed by cardiac arrest and contributing brain injury and bowel cancer. The cancer was highly suspected but never diagnosed and the brain injury from the car accident wasn't being actively monitored after his transfer to the second hospital. It's a mess really

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
This is all really upsetting for you I'm so sorry. I don't have any direct experience but in my hospital experience the PMs are usually done very quickly so I should give the Coroners office tomorrow and explain that you are very distressed and can they give you information about exactly when it will take place. They are usually very helpful and very sympathetic. It is good that they are having an independent pathologist but it probably doesn't seem like that at the moment.

Take care, thinking of you

Ameliasmama

Oct 24, 2015
I always feel like I'm mithering them by ringing asking questions. When I last spoke to the coroners case worker on Tuesday she said today was a possibility of the pm being done, but she never called back to confirm that was the case or not.

Just like the hospital, who on Monday said they'd call me back either Monday night or Tuesday morning to confirm whether they'd found my Dad's missing things. I'm still waiting :(

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Try not to feel as though you are bothering them - it is what they are paid for!!! You are already suffering great loss, don't let yourself suffer any more than that - get onto them and get some firm info and if they can't give it to you then say to them - when will you call me back.

Regarding your Dad's missing items phone PALS (Patient Advisory service), ask for their email and send them an email asking them to find these things on your behalf - they are usually very good and you can leave it in their capable hands - it may take a while but at least if PALS are dealing with it something will happen

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Your county Coroner is totally independent of hospitals or the police. A coroner will call upon the services of a number of pathologists to perform postmortems on cases his office is reviewing. As you can imagine there will be many (more than you think) to be performed and it may take some time for the PM to be done and the notes to be written up and sent to the Coroner. There may also be toxicology tests to be done - these will be carried out at the Coroners instruction at a licensed lab - again the results have to be submitted back to the Coroner. The Coroner may also request a report from your dad's doctor of his medical history.
All this can take some time to put into place - it does not mean that you will have to wait weeks or months for the coroner to decide that you may go ahead with Dad's funeral - he/she just have to be certain that they have gathered all the facts.
Do phone the Coroner's office and ask to speak to his/her Personal Assistant, ask them if you can have the name of the Coroner's officer handling your case. I've met many and I can tell you that they are very professional, kind and will, where they can, give you a great deal of support and advice.
Sending you best wishes at this sad time.