Anyone had experience of shaking 'fits'?

Rosie44

Feb 25, 2015
New Zealand
Hi All,

My mum was diagnosed with early stages of alzheimers about 3 /4 months ago. She started taking the medication and also at the same time started to experience periods of 'dizziness'. These were regular and lasting 2-3 minutes each time, so they took her off the medication. The episodes continued and are now becoming more frequent and more severe. She starts to shake, and is responsive, but cannot do anything until the shaking has passed. They can last anything from a couple of minutes to an hour and generally start mid morning until late afternoon. Never at night funnily enough.

No-one seems to know what is causing them. She was advised to see a cardiologist. He gave her a heart monitor to wear for 24 hours which showed that her heart slowed down during each of the episodes (she recorded 14 in that 24 hours). She had a pacemaker fitted, but that hasn't helped.

Now she is seeing a Neurologist, who has requested she has an EEG as he says from her scan (when she was diagnosed), there seems to be some unusual deterioration of brain cells. We are now waiting for this appointment.

Has anyone else come across this before?

Thanks so much in anticipation...

PS If anyone reads this who has admin rights, please correct the thread title for me :)

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It could well be epileptic seizures. These are common with any brain damage - including dementia. My husband has epileptic seizures, but his are caused by a traumatic brain injury rather than dementia.
Epilepsy is usually picked up on an EEG, which is a non-invasive, painless procedure - although you do need to keep still while it is being done. If it is epilepsy you can have antiepileptic meds and there are lots of different types, some suit one person, some suit another. Everyone is different, so if mum is put on one and it doesnt seem to be working, dont get too downhearted.

Rosie44

Feb 25, 2015
New Zealand
Lewy Bodies Dementia

Hi All,

Mum's shaking fits have steadily got worse, more intense and longer. Dad used to be able to get her to come round by distracting her by asking her questions or walking her round the house, but not these days.
The Cardiologist, the Neurologist are all scratching their heads and every drug they have given her seems to make things worse.
I looked up Lewy Bodies and am thinking that this maybe what she has. Does anyone have experience of this?

Cheers,

Kath

Faith57

Dec 31, 2015
Have you considered psychogenic seizures? They are caused by stress, and I believe harmless, but still need looking into.
Hi All,

Mum's shaking fits have steadily got worse, more intense and longer. Dad used to be able to get her to come round by distracting her by asking her questions or walking her round the house, but not these days.
The Cardiologist, the Neurologist are all scratching their heads and every drug they have given her seems to make things worse.
I looked up Lewy Bodies and am thinking that this maybe what she has. Does anyone have experience of this?

Cheers,

Kath

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bari