Anyone had experience of a 'kick bed'?

retiredcopper

May 17, 2011
Yorkshire
MIL is about to be discharged from an acute medica ward to a 'kick bed' for re-habilitation. Five weeks ago she was able to walk with help, feed herself & hold a conversation. Since coming into hospital she has spent her time asleep in bed (because she fights against getting up), won't feed herself & eats little when fed & speaks very little now.

Has anyone had experience of a 'kick bed'l How long can the patient be given rehabilitation for & how successful can it be? I hope for miracles but I doubt MIL will get back to how she was a few weeks ago.

Thanks for any help

Angie

Jaycee23

Jan 6, 2011
uk
Hi not sure what a kick bed is. Do you mean she is on a mental ward waiting to be discharged into a home or be assessed to where she can go? My experience is that they can keep them on a mental ward until they are happy that the person is going to the right place. My mum was on a ward for 8 months! She did deteriorate as she was not getting stimulation of people and the nurses were busy and I do not think they spend enough time with the patients.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Have you seen 'kick' written down or only referred to?

It could be a CIC bed (Care In Community)?

retiredcopper

May 17, 2011
Yorkshire
I've only heard it referred to by the Ward sister yesterday so I was guessing on the spelling of it. A CIC bed makes sense now - MIL is on a hospital ward after being treated for a chest infection, however her dementia has got worse while she has been ill. The nurse said she no longer needs to be on a medical ward now so they will find her a CIC bed so she can receive re-habilitation before being sent home. As she has deteriorated so much I am wondering if they can possibly get her up & walking again etc enough to return to her own home (she lives alone with 3 care visits a day).