Anyone had an experience to do with Arachnoid Cysts?

Karen G

Dec 2, 2019
My Dad is having Dementia symptoms. A two year old brain scan, shows an Arachnoid cyst on the right temporal lobe so the Doctor wants to explore this as a possible cause for his symptoms before considering it could be Alzheimers. He is awaiting an appointment with Neurology about this. They say the cyst could have grown and be causing his problems. Has anyone got a similar scenario they’ve had and what was the outcome?
Obviously if it is the cyst and they can operate it is the better outcome we hope for.
Thank you

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to DTP @Karen G
Personally I’ve never heard of it but hopefully somebody can help.
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

ITBookworm

Oct 26, 2011
Glasgow
My husband (mid 40s at the time) had an arachnoid cyst show up on a scan for something else. I have no idea what part of the brain. Since he was having balance issues that there wasn't an obvious reason for and there was a possibility that the cyst might be involved they decided to drain it so that they could rule it out. He had the operation and recovered without any problem although we didn't notice any change in any other issues.

The only thing to be aware of is that this is surgery on the brain! Even for something as apparently straight forward as draining a cyst it still classes as major surgery. I think you have to see what the neurologist says and go from there.