Anyone else in my boat?

LucyCW

Feb 25, 2015
Rainham Kent
Hi, I'm a carer for widowed BIL "M" (I'm widowed too). M has relatively early onset dementia it varies day to day or less, in its level.
Most of the time I'm coping now having spent 2 years fighting to get him a Care Package of 9.5 hours per week so he can remain at home as long as possible.
The big problem at the moment is me. I have several physical health issues of varying severity including losing 3" in height in 9 months. However I also have mental health issues. Severe depression and MPD/DID.
These are taking a toll on me, especially as I get older, and it's making my role as carer for M that much harder. I know the chances of finding another carer with MPD/DID are not great but anyone else finding mental health is causing extra strain?
PS M is 62 & I'm 56 (well at least the body is lol)

Last edited:

Beannie

Aug 17, 2015
East Midlands
Hi, I'm a carer for widowed BIL "M" (I'm widowed too). M has relatively early onset dementia it varies day to day or less, in its level.
Most of the time I'm coping now having spent 2 years fighting to get him a Care Package of 9.5 hours per week so he can remain at home as long as possible.
The big problem at the moment is me. I have several physical health issues of varying severity including losing 3" in height in 9 months. However I also have mental health issues. Severe depression and MPD/DID.
These are taking a toll on me, especially as I get older, and it's making my role as carer for M that much harder. I know the chances of finding another carer with MPD/DID are not great but anyone else finding mental health is causing extra strain?
PS M is 62 & I'm 56 (well at least the body is lol)

Hi Lucy,

Whilst I don't have first hand knowledge of your particular mental health issues I just wanted to say hi and welcome to Talking Point. Have you spoken to Social Services about your situation and your BIL? I have found you just have to keep pushing and pushing until someone listens or you become such a nuisance that they decide to help just to get you off their back (lol). Do keep posting Lucy and let us know how you are getting along and if you have questions ask and hopefully someone will be able to help.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coo