Anybody in a similar boat?

lambchop

Nov 18, 2011
Carmar, your post was beautifully written and I am just as touched by it. You are right in everything you say, especially about the tremendous qualities us carers have, but for me, my self-worth has completely gone and so much seems meaningless. As you say, it takes time to recover and I'm very fortunate to have some savings to keep me going temporarily. You certainly made huge sacrifices to look after your mum full-time without the support of your family. I wish you the best of luck finding a job - you have a wonderful, positive, resilient attitude. I wish I had the same (maybe in time).

Last edited:

lambchop

Nov 18, 2011
Sorry, I have no idea of your current job, you may be a $1000 hour something, but my message is....start meeting people through work, move up and out, until you find your personal niche.

Delmartin, your post made me smile. Retail isn't easy, but compared to nursing, it must feel like a walk in the park! I have applied for retail as well as office positions. How did you get your's without (I'm assuming) relevant experience at the time? I hope you're right about my age being a good thing. And I don't earn £1,000 an hour lol. I do a desk job - admin.

I just wondered how difficult other carers found finding a job after a break from the job market.

Last edited:

lambchop

Nov 18, 2011
Hello @lambchop. I feel so for you. My Mum has just gone into permanent nursing care after me caring for her in her own home for nearly 3 years. I gave up my job and my home to do that. I am not an only child but may just as well have been when it came to caring for Mum, as so very many people on TP have found, with a family full of what TP call 'invisibles'. Suffice to say I have never felt so alone in my life as the last 3 years, even having siblings. I sympathise with you trying to go out and be normal in a world that has changed for you now. I say changed, when in reality it is we who change, by the very nature of our caring role and the trauma and grief often caused by it. There are many memories to process, often not good ones and they take time to recover from. So much of one's self is given over in order to care in the way that is necessary, that it is difficult to remember sometimes who we were before it all began. You are still grieving lambchop. 5 months since losing your Mum is still very early days. I understand too, what you mean about the world seeming like a scary place from your perspective but I think maybe you have not taken in to account the strengths you have. To have cared long-term for anyone means you have resilience, empathy, compassion, courage and oh yes, did I mention inner strength? These are just a few of the qualities that you have shown in your life and they are still there. They are you, in fact. You are not less than you were you are MORE because of what you have done. It takes a special person to care for not just one but both parents for so very long. Now, you need to try to use those strengths you have for you. To use some of that love for yourself. You deserve it. I am just going back out on the job market at the age of 60! In fact, I have just applied for my first job. There's one thing I do know, there is no job out there half as scary as the last 3 years I have just accomplished! It must be even more true for you, sweetie.

I hope you will forgive me for adding this Lambchop, when it doesn't directly relate to your post, but I am so glad you have said that to @Hazara8, because I too have said in the past that he/she should be a writer. You see Hazara8, it's not only me!! You truly do have a remarkable and poetic gift. Have you thought of writing your autobiography of caring for your own Mother? Your gift is not just of words but of touching the depths of the heart in need with your words. A gift indeed.

Carmar, your post was beautifully written and I am just as touched by it. You are right in everything you say, especially about the tremendous qualities us carers have, but for me, my self-worth has completely gone and so much seems meaningless. As you say, it takes time to recover and I'm very fortunate to have some savings to keep me going temporarily. You certainly made huge sacrifices to look after your mum full-time without the support of your family. I wish you the best of luck finding a job - you have a wonderful, positive, resilient attitude. I wish I had the same (maybe in time).

PS - I'm glad Hazara's writing is so popular!

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Delmartin, your post made me smile. Retail isn't easy either, but compared to nursing, it must feel like a walk in the park! I have applied for retail as well as office positions. How did you get your's without (I'm assuming) relevant experience at the time? I hope you're right about my age being a good thing. And I don't earn £1,000 an hour lol. I do a desk job - admin.
I went into JLP, filled out an application, I’d crafted all my life, mentioned this, my references were all in the USA. Offered a seasonal autumn Christmas job, I was offered a permanent job, but went back to the USA.
It’s a matter of pushing what you have to offer, you’re literate, you can spell, you don’t have to rely on spellcheck. You probably don’t check Facebook every 5 minutes. You know how to be polite (on the surface) to everyone.
You can probably add up to ten without a calculator. In other words you have a lot to offer over an 18+ school leaver. You have a proven work ethic.
Sorry I sound like a salesman. Go hunt.
(It took me 10 minutes to grammar check this, predictive text has advantages but old school needs experience)

lambchop

Nov 18, 2011
I went into JLP, filled out an application, I’d crafted all my life, mentioned this, my references were all in the USA. Offered a seasonal autumn Christmas job, I was offered a permanent job, but went back to the USA.
It’s a matter of pushing what you have to offer, you’re literate, you can spell, you don’t have to rely on spellcheck. You probably don’t check Facebook every 5 minutes. You know how to be polite (on the surface) to everyone.
You can probably add up to ten without a calculator. In other words you have a lot to offer over an 18+ school leaver. You have a proven work ethic.
Sorry I sound like a salesman. Go hunt.
(It took me 10 minutes to grammar check this, predictive text has advantages but old school needs experience)
Glad you had a positive experience - thank you for your help. I will keep hunting lol.

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
@lambchop I'm so sorry to hear of you losing your Dad and then your Mum. My circumstances are different - Mum and Dad both have dementia and are now in a care home, and my 'role' in their care is now considerably different from when I was supporting them living at home. I do have a sibling, but in many ways feel like an only child as our relationship is very broken. It's a lonely place to be! Time has helped to adjust somewhat to them being in a home, and also the loss of recognition of me as their daughter - though the grief continues. What a massive change for you, from being a carer for your Mum, to losing your Mum along with the role that you were fulfilling - the grief and loss combined are immense and it's not a suprise you feel as you do, but I think the fact you recognise that is a good sign. Re getting a job, I'm sure I have seen posts on TP that describe the skills of being a carer and how those could be appled to various jobs (organisational skills, patience, initiative to name but a few, etc etc....). Sending wishes. Georgina X

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
Hello @lambchop. I feel so for you. My Mum has just gone into permanent nursing care after me caring for her in her own home for nearly 3 years. I gave up my job and my home to do that. I am not an only child but may just as well have been when it came to caring for Mum, as so very many people on TP have found, with a family full of what TP call 'invisibles'. Suffice to say I have never felt so alone in my life as the last 3 years, even having siblings. I sympathise with you trying to go out and be normal in a world that has changed for you now. I say changed, when in reality it is we who change, by the very nature of our caring role and the trauma and grief often caused by it. There are many memories to process, often not good ones and they take time to recover from. So much of one's self is given over in order to care in the way that is necessary, that it is difficult to remember sometimes who we were before it all began. You are still grieving lambchop. 5 months since losing your Mum is still very early days. I understand too, what you mean about the world seeming like a scary place from your perspective but I think maybe you have not taken in to account the strengths you have. To have cared long-term for anyone means you have resilience, empathy, compassion, courage and oh yes, did I mention inner strength? These are just a few of the qualities that you have shown in your life and they are still there. They are you, in fact. You are not less than you were you are MORE because of what you have done. It takes a special person to care for not just one but both parents for so very long. Now, you need to try to use those strengths you have for you. To use some of that love for yourself. You deserve it. I am just going back out on the job market at the age of 60! In fact, I have just applied for my first job. There's one thing I do know, there is no job out there half as scary as the last 3 years I have just accomplished! It must be even more true for you, sweetie.

I hope you will forgive me for adding this Lambchop, when it doesn't directly relate to your post, but I am so glad you have said that to @Hazara8, because I too have said in the past that he/she should be a writer. You see Hazara8, it's not only me!! You truly do have a remarkable and poetic gift. Have you thought of writing your autobiography of caring for your own Mother? Your gift is not just of words but of touching the depths of the heart in need with your words. A gift indeed.
Very kind. Perhaps it evolves out of the very real facts, of which we all speak of here. The individual accounts, the actual relinquishing of a 'normal' life - your own - warrants as meaningful response as is possible to give. We know, those of us who have taken the journey, just what this truly means. Unlike many situations in life which can be seen, often, as quite trite, this complete giving over of body and soul to the person we both love and who has in turn loved and cared for us, condemned cruelly in that all so unforgiving way by dementia, brings about, it seems to me, an awareness of the actual meaning of life, of which we all have just the one. Of course, this always relates to the relationship we have enjoyed with our parents. Alas, I witness people (in Care) who seldom receive visits, for various reasons - but in some cases simply due to the fact that, perhaps, Mum or Dad did not convey the kind of love and care which we were fortunate enough to receive, or simply did not love at all? Then, you enter the realms of compassion and humanity, whereby you simply address the 'here and now', .i.e. despite the history, the person is now totally vulnerable, innocent in respect of this affliction (dementia per se) and thus deserved of both care and love. My late mother was loving, thoughtful, always attentive to others, extraordinary in many ways, an artist, adored children, nature, the sea and seemed to possess an overall sense of goodwill which was not lost on anyone who came into contact with her. So, I was indeed lucky , as a son. Therefore, when the dementia beast comes knocking at the door and you do not recognise it at first, you sense 'old age' and all the familiar traits of same which accompany someone in their mid-nineties, you invite it in, because it is your mother. Then, later on, when the beast reveals itself for what it truly is, that journey we all know about, begins. In that regard, the 'autobiography' inhabits that part of the brain which we term 'memory' and the writing of it, just now, would be a challenge and perhaps a kind of 're-living' - something I am not really prepared to do. And yet, these forums are in their own special way, cathartic. 'Listening' to so many real-life accounts, laid bare and clearly from the heart, from anonymous folk. Really, worth all the texts and neurological treatises, the ongoing researches, medications - all of which we accept as certainly important - by sheer nature of the heartfelt expression of these personal and totally individual accounts of real lives, devoid of ambition, gratification, self-worth and all the rest of it. Thus, I cannot say more than this, in my own particular way. Besides, a 'cry for help' which so often calls out like that of a frightened child, emanating from the many posts we all read on here, is, as we also know, told from the heart. The centre of thoughts, feelings, emotion ... and LOVE.

lambchop

Nov 18, 2011
@lambchop I'm so sorry to hear of you losing your Dad and then your Mum. My circumstances are different - Mum and Dad both have dementia and are now in a care home, and my 'role' in their care is now considerably different from when I was supporting them living at home. I do have a sibling, but in many ways feel like an only child as our relationship is very broken. It's a lonely place to be! Time has helped to adjust somewhat to them being in a home, and also the loss of recognition of me as their daughter - though the grief continues. What a massive change for you, from being a carer for your Mum, to losing your Mum along with the role that you were fulfilling - the grief and loss combined are immense and it's not a suprise you feel as you do, but I think the fact you recognise that is a good sign. Re getting a job, I'm sure I have seen posts on TP that describe the skills of being a carer and how those could be appled to various jobs (organisational skills, patience, initiative to name but a few, etc etc....). Sending wishes. Georgina X
Thank you so much for your kind wishes and helpful words, Georgina. I'm so sorry that both your parents are afflicted with dementia and they don't recognise you - truly a tragedy and no wonder you feel alone and are grieving. Many carers with siblings or family members have said on TP that the burden of caring usually and unfairly falls to one person. In that respect, being an only child, I was lucky as I had no expectations of anyone else, How frustrating to have people who could help, but don't, or do very little.

I wish you the very best wishes in return - that your parents are settled and hopefully happy and that you can find peace and happiness in your life. Life with dementia is the hardest there is. x

lambchop

Nov 18, 2011
Very kind. Perhaps it evolves out of the very real facts, of which we all speak of here. The individual accounts, the actual relinquishing of a 'normal' life - your own - warrants as meaningful response as is possible to give. We know, those of us who have taken the journey, just what this truly means. Unlike many situations in life which can be seen, often, as quite trite, this complete giving over of body and soul to the person we both love and who has in turn loved and cared for us, condemned cruelly in that all so unforgiving way by dementia, brings about, it seems to me, an awareness of the actual meaning of life, of which we all have just the one. Of course, this always relates to the relationship we have enjoyed with our parents. Alas, I witness people (in Care) who seldom receive visits, for various reasons - but in some cases simply due to the fact that, perhaps, Mum or Dad did not convey the kind of love and care which we were fortunate enough to receive, or simply did not love at all? Then, you enter the realms of compassion and humanity, whereby you simply address the 'here and now', .i.e. despite the history, the person is now totally vulnerable, innocent in respect of this affliction (dementia per se) and thus deserved of both care and love. My late mother was loving, thoughtful, always attentive to others, extraordinary in many ways, an artist, adored children, nature, the sea and seemed to possess an overall sense of goodwill which was not lost on anyone who came into contact with her. So, I was indeed lucky , as a son. Therefore, when the dementia beast comes knocking at the door and you do not recognise it at first, you sense 'old age' and all the familiar traits of same which accompany someone in their mid-nineties, you invite it in, because it is your mother. Then, later on, when the beast reveals itself for what it truly is, that journey we all know about, begins. In that regard, the 'autobiography' inhabits that part of the brain which we term 'memory' and the writing of it, just now, would be a challenge and perhaps a kind of 're-living' - something I am not really prepared to do. And yet, these forums are in their own special way, cathartic. 'Listening' to so many real-life accounts, laid bare and clearly from the heart, from anonymous folk. Really, worth all the texts and neurological treatises, the ongoing researches, medications - all of which we accept as certainly important - by sheer nature of the heartfelt expression of these personal and totally individual accounts of real lives, devoid of ambition, gratification, self-worth and all the rest of it. Thus, I cannot say more than this, in my own particular way. Besides, a 'cry for help' which so often calls out like that of a frightened child, emanating from the many posts we all read on here, is, as we also know, told from the heart. The centre of thoughts, feelings, emotion ... and LOVE.

Hazara, your mother sounds absolutely wonderful and has obviously left a huge hole in your life but your words are a credit to her. I hope that you will feel able, in time, to donate your words to a wider audience. In the meantime, we are the lucky ones on TP!

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Lambchop,
I'm still doing care work and have been increasing my hours. I can't face returning to office life after my caring days and caring (for other people's loved ones) is relatively stress free compared with office politics. I figure it will build up a career history of sorts rather than be a hard to explain gap so if I feel like something else later on I can leap from there. I've also decided if I need a mortgage it shows I've worked somewhere for quite a few years.
I'm same age as you and most jobs that don't require professional degrees seem to pay less than the rate I get from the care agency if you break it down into money per hour at work. So many office type jobs these days expect a 40 hour week or unpaid overtime and no way I am going down that road.
The house thing is really eating me up though, at least not having siblings you don't have to divide everything in half with a none caring sibling.
I'm not exactly practicing what I preach but concentrate on one or two quality applications rather than sending out ten cvs at a time. I can't find anything I want to apply for. The hourly rate is a pittance on anything that looks fairly hassle free and I need hassle free!

lambchop

Nov 18, 2011
HI Selinacroft,

Sorry, I didn't see your post until now. Thank you for your words. I'm incredibly impressed that you are doing carework. Were you doing carework already or were you doing other work before your loved one passed away? I'm very ambivalent about doing carework. One the one hand, I would like to do something more meaningful than a desk job; on the other hand, I've been a carer for my mum for so long, that I can't imagine doing it any longer, or doing it for someone who isn't my mum or dad.

I know what you mean about being unable to find anything you want to apply for and the 'hassle-free' criteria, although, as you are doing care work, I wouldn't consider that to be hassle-free!

Good luck with your search though.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Hi Lambchop, I used to be in finance and rotted in an office for 30 years. I gave up the "proper job" to care for dad about 5 years ago and just dabbled on a very part time basis as dad's needs varied at home. I kept it on after he passed away and compared to office politics it is hassle free. It is different being able to walk away - I suppose like grandparents handing back the baby to go and have a good nights sleep. It suits me for now, flexible hours, mostly independant and far fewer politics to deal with. I'm thinking of taking in students to breathe some life back into the house and give me an extra income working from home, I think pick n mix is the way forward. I don't feel I want to return to what I left behind when I started caring.

lambchop

Nov 18, 2011
Hi Selinacroft - apologies again for the delay in replying - I didn't realise I could choose to receive notifications by email if I get replies to a thread.

It sounds as if you have the balance right but it must have been very hard at the beginning to go back to caring whilst caring for dad and after your dad died - emotionally wise if nothing else.

I tried to volunteer at a stroke group recently and burst into tears so I knew I wasn't ready for that yet. But it doesn't mean I am giving up. I do other voluntary work but I feel pretty useless most of the time. It doesn't fill me with any sense of achievement when I do something for someone else but I think that must be normal when you miss a loved one so much; nothing can really fill that void for a long, long time and the best you can hope for is to find something to distract you.

I just want mum back and I do miss looking after her - the sense of purpose. We all want our loved ones back (pre-dementia) but we have to try and soldier on without them, somehow.

I have applied for several jobs with no luck, but, like you, I have no real interest in any of them, especially office jobs. So I have been applying for retail positions but I don't have enough experience to interest retailers. Plus I feel my age is working against me.

Anyway, something will turn up. Keep going with your plans - you sound like you are moving forwards at least and are doing your best to be positive.

Last edited:

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Have just found this thread and been moved to tears. I so identify with the posts, just wish I could write anywhere near as beautifully or express myself so well. But yes, basically I am part of the only child club, I lost dad fifteen years ago and mum to dementia from ten plus years ago (she has been in a residential, then nursing home for three years). I am 68 and am probably too old, sad, inexperienced and unfit for employment ( I was a social worker and miss it terribly). I have little focus in my life other than my grandson aged 16 months, and it would be unfair on him and my daughter for me to try to live my life through them. They need their independence while they can have it.
So....I'm okay as long as someone needs me for something. But on days like today, when I only have a little voluntary role for an hour this evening, I really don't know what to do with myself. And I hate to hear myself sound so moany and negative!
Sorry for sounding off.
Your posts are all brilliant and my thoughts are with you all. Hang on in there xxx

lambchop

Nov 18, 2011
Have just found this thread and been moved to tears. I so identify with the posts, just wish I could write anywhere near as beautifully or express myself so well. But yes, basically I am part of the only child club, I lost dad fifteen years ago and mum to dementia from ten plus years ago (she has been in a residential, then nursing home for three years). I am 68 and am probably too old, sad, inexperienced and unfit for employment ( I was a social worker and miss it terribly). I have little focus in my life other than my grandson aged 16 months, and it would be unfair on him and my daughter for me to try to live my life through them. They need their independence while they can have it.
So....I'm okay as long as someone needs me for something. But on days like today, when I only have a little voluntary role for an hour this evening, I really don't know what to do with myself. And I hate to hear myself sound so moany and negative!
Sorry for sounding off.
Your posts are all brilliant and my thoughts are with you all. Hang on in there xxx

HI Lindy,

YOu are so kind and more than welcome to our club lol. I'm so sorry for your situation and completely understand how much loss you are feeling. I certainly don't think you are moaning or negative. Grief and loss are so hard to cope with and loss means so much, not just the loss of our loved ones. You lost a job you loved dearly and you've lost a lot of your purpose. I think your daughter would want to help you and be there for you if she knew how you felt - I'm sure you are very close - without losing her independence.

Are there any hobbies you have or friends you see regularly that help in any way?

xx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
HI Lindy,

YOu are so kind and more than welcome to our club lol. I'm so sorry for your situation and completely understand how much loss you are feeling. I certainly don't think you are moaning or negative. Grief and loss are so hard to cope with and loss means so much, not just the loss of our loved ones. You lost a job you loved dearly and you've lost a lot of your purpose. I think your daughter would want to help you and be there for you if she knew how you felt - I'm sure you are very close - without losing her independence.

Are there any hobbies you have or friends you see regularly that help in any way?

xx

Thanks lambchop for your very understanding message.

You're right, my daughter does try to help me (or more accurately, she lets me help her!) but I don't want to rely on her more and more as time goes by. We do see each other several times a week, go to toddler groups and nearly new sales etc together. Really we're as close as could be - in fact she lived here for four months until a couple of weeks ago, because her relationship with her partner broke down. I miss her a lot now she's moved out, but she needs her own home.

As to hobbies and friends, I am sad to say that I've let these go over the years. I used to work and look after my parents, and retired early to care full time for mum. My own interests took a back seat ( I know a lot on here have done the same). In addition, I have been in hospital for about four months out of the last two years, as my own health broke down almost immediately mum went into a nursing home. Really I'm only just properly over the open heart surgery I had last autumn.

So.....I know friends and interests / hobbies are a large part of the answer.....and I will keep on trying to motivate myself. It may take some time.....

Thinking of you all and sending best wishes. Thanks again lambchop X

Lindy xx

lambchop

Nov 18, 2011
Thanks lambchop for your very understanding message.

You're right, my daughter does try to help me (or more accurately, she lets me help her!) but I don't want to rely on her more and more as time goes by. We do see each other several times a week, go to toddler groups and nearly new sales etc together. Really we're as close as could be - in fact she lived here for four months until a couple of weeks ago, because her relationship with her partner broke down. I miss her a lot now she's moved out, but she needs her own home.

As to hobbies and friends, I am sad to say that I've let these go over the years. I used to work and look after my parents, and retired early to care full time for mum. My own interests took a back seat ( I know a lot on here have done the same). In addition, I have been in hospital for about four months out of the last two years, as my own health broke down almost immediately mum went into a nursing home. Really I'm only just properly over the open heart surgery I had last autumn.

So.....I know friends and interests / hobbies are a large part of the answer.....and I will keep on trying to motivate myself. It may take some time.....

Thinking of you all and sending best wishes. Thanks again lambchop X

Lindy xx

Hi Lindy,

You've had a hard time, especially with the major surgery you had. It's such a common theme for carers to suffer all sorts of ailments due to the stress of caring and these ailments come out when we least expect it - they just hit us hard, as if we haven't been through enough!

I am so glad you have a wonderful relationship with your daughter and grandchild - these relationships keep us going, if you are lucky to have them. My mum and dad were the only family I had, so I know I won't find that type of unconditional love elsewhere. But I try to keep busy - the cliche of keeping busy is trite but true and it's the only way to cope at times with the loss and void that are left behind. I have suffered several health issues myself so I know how you feel and it's incredibly frustrating and can knock your confidence.

But give yourself some love and tlc and try not to be hard on yourself. Apparently, we all need self-compassion but I have yet to work out how to do that lol. Take your time to find your way, especially given your health and I hope you find things that you will enjoy doing. xx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi Lindy,

You've had a hard time, especially with the major surgery you had. It's such a common theme for carers to suffer all sorts of ailments due to the stress of caring and these ailments come out when we least expect it - they just hit us hard, as if we haven't been through enough!

I am so glad you have a wonderful relationship with your daughter and grandchild - these relationships keep us going, if you are lucky to have them. My mum and dad were the only family I had, so I know I won't find that type of unconditional love elsewhere. But I try to keep busy - the cliche of keeping busy is trite but true and it's the only way to cope at times with the loss and void that are left behind. I have suffered several health issues myself so I know how you feel and it's incredibly frustrating and can knock your confidence.

But give yourself some love and tlc and try not to be hard on yourself. Apparently, we all need self-compassion but I have yet to work out how to do that lol. Take your time to find your way, especially given your health and I hope you find things that you will enjoy doing. xx

Thank you again lambchop :)
You're right - keeping busy is very necessary and I guess that's why when I'm not well, or not needed or have anything specific to achieve, that those are the times I struggle to keep going. Like you I have yet to work out how to do self compassion! It sounds to me a bit like a contradiction in terms...lol.
I hope you keep well and take care of yourself.
Thinking of you.
Lindy xx

lambchop

Nov 18, 2011
Thank you again lambchop :)
You're right - keeping busy is very necessary and I guess that's why when I'm not well, or not needed or have anything specific to achieve, that those are the times I struggle to keep going. Like you I have yet to work out how to do self compassion! It sounds to me a bit like a contradiction in terms...lol.
I hope you keep well and take care of yourself.
Thinking of you.
Lindy xx
Thanks Lindy - my thoughts are with you too.
We have spent so long being and giving compassion to our loved ones, that we have no idea how to be compassionate to ourselves. Who knows whether we will find the answer to this, but good luck to us all. xx