Anybody here speak Alzheimers?

jks

Jul 2, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hello

For the past few days, Dad says he doesn't feel well.

He feels too tall.

He doesn't want the Dr to call, or to be taken to the surgery, he says he'd rather wait and see if it gets better.

I have asked him to explain in what way he feels unwell, but he simply repeats that he's 'too tall'. (He is perfectly cohearent and able to explain other things).
The only idea I can come up with is maybe he's feeling a bit dizzy? Any other suggestions? (before I chop his legs off :eek: ......... not really).

jks

jks

Jul 2, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hi There
Yes, he wears glasses, but had his eyes checked only a couple of weeks ago. I guess it could be an eye/vision problem though. Thanks !

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi JKS
it does not have to be the vision as such that affects the sight.
My wife has no problem with her sight but with her focus,which is affected by AD.
She will look above my head when talking to me sometimes and finds problems with focusing in general.
Just a thought
Norman

Last edited:

zan

Jan 4, 2006
staffordshire
Dear JKS, I'm sorry but I don't know what feeling too tall might mean, but could you try asking him what might make him feel better or what might make him feel 'not too tall'. It might give you some clues as to how he is feeling. Also ask him what he thinks the doctor would advise him to do if he came to see him. Good luck, from Zan

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
I also wondered about spatial awareness stuff, which I think is affected by dementia.
My dad clearly doesn't see things properly and walks towards doorways etc on clear collision course with the door frame.

The other thing I wondered about is a psychological thing ..... if he feels "small" as in like a child in need of protection from bigger people .... and being his normal adult height then feels wrong.

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
A wonderful book for communicating with AD is " The Validation Breakthrough" by Naomi Feil. I have read it twice and will read it again as my Mom keeps throwing new things at me and it is hard to stay on top of all of it.
Debbie

jks

Jul 2, 2005
West Yorkshire
Thanks everyone!

Zan - excellent idea - I was so wrapped up in wanting to understand what was wrong, I never really thought of asking 'what can I do to put it right'. I am going to ask him this morning.

Thanks again, my sanity is restored by you good people.

Regards
jks

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I suppose I'd be inclined to ask a few simple yes/no questions about the "tallness". But hope that he's right about waiting to see if it gets better.

Lila

jks said:
Hello

For the past few days, Dad says he doesn't feel well.

He feels too tall.

He doesn't want the Dr to call, or to be taken to the surgery, he says he'd rather wait and see if it gets better.

jks

Jul 2, 2005
West Yorkshire
Just back from visiting, Dad's still feeling 'a bit tall'.

I asked Dad what might help, what we could do - he said a bit of fresh air and a walk might help.

And it did!!!:)

He feels much better now. We had a short walk, admiring and noseying in other peoples gardens. We spotted some hyacinths just poking through ..... Dad pointed to the tallest one, and said 'You see that one there? That ones's special....know what it's called?.....

.......it's the 'higher'-cinth! '

And collapsed into fits of giggles, as I did too.
It may sound like gibberish, but my Dad always has loved puns, word-play, silly jokes like that. It's really made my day. This was something he'd have said years ago, and it was just like 'old times'.

Just wanted to share a nice moment with you, and to say thanks again to Zan, who enabled me look at the problem from another angle.

Best Regards
jks

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
My wife has not made a cup of tea for years.
A few days ago she asked me would I like a cup of tea,I said "yes please".
She replied "Well it's no trouble for you to make it is it?"
Norman:confused:

zan

Jan 4, 2006
staffordshire
Dear JKS, Glad to be of help. My Dad liked to twist words round to make new ones too. I do it now and drive my kids mad when I always call the instructions to anything the destructions. I thought it was just me but his friend visited him in hospital a few days ago and said that Dad used to do that at work. A couple of weeks ago he was managing to talk in sentences a bit. As we left we asked if he minded if we go now. He said "Yes, Scram off , then" and smiled. It was a little glimpse of the past and a good day. I'm glad your Dad liked the 'higher cynths'. If your weather is as nice this morning as ours perhaps he'll be able to have another look at them today. Take care, love Zan

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I thought everyone at work talked about destruction manuals ...

Lila

zan said:
Dear JKS, Glad to be of help. My Dad liked to twist words round to make new ones too. I do it now and drive my kids mad when I always call the instructions to anything the destructions.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Norman
I'm going to try Pegs question and response on my husband, wonder if he'll take the hint!
Amy

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
The key to learning to speak alzheimer's is all about exactly what jks realised, and zan already knew, one needs to start to
look at the problem from another angle

This is how I manage to spend an hour each day communicating with my dad, despite the fact that he can no longer talk.;) Instead of speaking English we now use, Anglish...keep coming from different angles until we pinpoint the answers, meanings, issues, intentions, reasons etc...if one wants to continue with puns, I guess I could say that, being as I dub this alzheimer's language as Anglish, I suggest if one wants to speak it, one should try angulating...or is that stretching it all too far?? Y'know pin-point something by coming at it from different angles...tri-angulating....oh never mind....it amused me at least.:eek:

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
That makes perfect sense Nat. Infact the book "The Validation Breakthrough" talks about something very similalr. Their reality and the memories are so skewed it is like trying to put together a jigsaw puzzle that someone left alot of pieces out of .
Thanks for the anglish theory, it will help me as well!
Debbie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman