Any tips on assessment?

23rdTurnoff

Apr 24, 2011
manchester
Hi all and thanks for all the helpful advice last week.
My dad has his SS assessment tomorrow - i would like to get him a care home as he is 94 yrs old and suffering from 'moderate' AD - any tips on how to handle them? Any trick questions to watch out for? Any do's and don'ts ?
All help gratefully recieved!

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Good luck tomorrow. They won't be trying to trick you, you should find them supportive. I suggest that if you say he is unpredictable then have a specific example to back it up, if he gets aggressive, have an example. Try to be specific rather than vague.
Mum had her 6 month re assessment last week and it went well in that they spent just as much time on it as they had before and there was no improvement in her condition, some worsening, so hope she gets continuation of her funding.

Pippa x

Lotti

Jul 31, 2007
Hi, I would suggest you note a few things down that your father needs help with. From my experience it is more about what your loved one cannot do for themselves rather than what they can, so make sure as Pippa said - 'be specific'

I have to disagree with Pippa though that 'they' will be supportive. Not my experience, when mum had her assessment. We, (mums family) thought she scored higher in some domains than the SS and PCT did, but was told 'oh part of that need is covered later on' I stuck to my decision, which if you disagree with what their score is, it has to be recorded. When it went to panel they gave us the middle score, proving I was justified. Not once did we feel that they were doing the best for mum, but trying to decide who foots the bill. Both workers from SS and PCT seemed very nice until they realised they couldn't pull the wool over our eyes.

I wish you luck for tomorrow, be strong, confident, take notes, and stand up for your father and your beliefs, you know him best.

Lotti

BeckHux

Jan 20, 2010
Devon
Ensure that that the 'social & emotional need for contact with family and friends' is a recorded need, otherwise they may try to force you to put him in a home too far away.

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello, my only tip would be is to make sure your father gets the right care for his needs. I don't think they will ask trick questions, but they might want to try additional care in his own home before permanent care in a home.

Best wishes to you both.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Yes be specific, but also use worse case scenario examples wherever needed. It may be something like only one nights incontinence or one event of wandering or agression, but it must be mentioned that it has occurred and could recur. Don't be put off by having to speak of these things in front of your parent, they need to be noted.

23rdTurnoff

Apr 24, 2011
manchester
Thanks All.....

I am off to meet with them now, thanks for all your advice - i will come back and let you know how we got on!
My problem is that dad really doesn't want help - still thinks he's capable of doing everything himself (but is far from it)and has a horror of 'strangers interfering' or 'taking charity', so is likely to undermine my efforts at every opportunity!
hey ho......
cheers for now