Any Social Worker available ? advice needed

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Helena
Where did you see that all dementia suffers in Scotland received £250 towards care home fees? I would be interested to know where I can claim more money for my parents, if they have to go into care.
As I understand it, privately funded residents are able to claim "free personal care allowance" of £145 residential, £210 nursing per week, if over 65 years old

We also pay taxes in Scotland.

Alfjess

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
We also pay taxes in Scotland.
absolutely correct, and if we're going to be parochial about it, then I think Scotland has also provided the oil that has sustained the UK for the past 30 years.

It does no good to use tabloid arguments, gets no-one anyplace.

P.S. I'm half Welsh/half English.... and no axe to grind in the Lothian Question

Last edited:

Helena

May 24, 2006
Strange but even Alzheimers Scotland recognise that patients there get a better deal than the rest down South of the border and its they who said its £250 a week is paid for all dementia sufferers and if you actually check how much Scotland receives per capita from the Uk Treasury because its far more than is allocated per capita south of the border

Facts not predjudice

I am aware the system in Scotland even for POAs is different ...........had not heard you were forced to sign papers though

Actually i always understood no one can be forced to sign anything

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Quote from Alzheimer Scotland web site:

People moving into a care home on after 1 April 2002
People moving into a care home after 1 April and paying all their own fees will need to be assessed if they want to claim free personal or nursing care. If they are over 65 and need personal care they will get £145 per week, and if they need nursing care an extra £65, making a total of £210 per week. If they are under 65 and need nursing care they will get £65 per week

Chip's husband is under 65

Helena

May 24, 2006
Thanks for that information ........i had not seen it .........sounds like the person on their helpline needs to read their own website

Sounds incredibly unfair on under 65s ......you realy have to wonder who works out these figures

or what they now expect Chips to live on

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Thanks skye yes it is very bad so far i get 10hrs a week direct payments and have to pay £32 a week towards it plus £40 and £12 for outreach and one day a week day care that makes £180 a month thats more than the mortgage was when we were working. I have constantly said that i need the 10hrs upped but i am ignored. I now don't no how much i have to pay for respite (thats if its going ahead) In the money andlegal matters book it says that some councils ask the spouse to contribute towards the cost of respite how can i when they are stopping me from working and if he has to go into full care i only get half his pension to live on I also dont get the winter fuel allowance or help if the house needs repairs i have to pay for everything

Helena

May 24, 2006
And I bet you wont qualify for pension credit or other benefits

Its all totally cruel

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Yep your right too young for that its occupation pension my husband gets he still has 12years to go before he would have got state pension.