Any Quick Links to Statistics Please?

Seaholly

Oct 12, 2020
Sorry to have to post this - but time is one thing I do not have right now.

Does anyone have a quick link to statistics around how many unpaid carers are suffering from mental health problems or have either contemplated taking, or actually taken their own lives? Are there any reports you have read and can relocate easily that explain the emotional and financial burdens of people in the UK who choose to look after their own?

The information will be used as supporting evidence to show that providing 50 hours a week care for a relative in late stage Alzheimer's and also assisting with farm work and trying to investigate and develop a diversification business is a physically and emotionally unsustainable position to put oneself under (yes, I know, it should be obvious!)

In doing just that, I have pushed myself to the brink on several occasions, but it is necessary to ensure mum has the care she needs and wants and that since I have given up my job, the farm is our only source of income and we've scaled down production the past few years so OH can better support me and mum and because his retired dad has also had to step right back to care for his own partner who is just a couple of years in the whole progression behind my mum.

We're desperate for a place to live on the holding to allow father in law and partner their privacy and just cut out what amounts to hours every week of pointless car journeys and always having to be 'somewhere else'. We need to live on site for the business to operate, which is why we have spent the last 2 summers in a very dilapidated touring caravan! We're now back home in a home that is no use to us 8 months of the year, but we daren't sell it and we have no time to maintain it, let alone get it ready to rent and find a tenant. This puts additional responsibility on someone who is past retirement age and also has his own loved one to look after.

I need to show our Local Planning Authority that this situation is placing a huge and unsustainable strain on us. It needn't be like this! The reason we aren't generating enough income to justify (in their eyes) a dwelling in site is because we are accommodating the needs of a terminally ill person! We are pulling out all the stops to keep the business operating at a low level and retaining a very loyal customer base, but if we lose that - we won't get it back. If we can just keep our heads above water another couple of years, we have the expertise and ability to make the business thrive again.

Please may I respectfully ask that nobody responds with a 'why can't you.... / why don't you....surely you could just....?' type response. The facts are as I have laid them out. However, if you are kind enough to point me to any evidence that would help explain the stress I am under, that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you :)

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I came across this one only last night if it helps.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I wonder if a referral from your GP or a carers centre to a counsellor or to CBT would both help you manage the stress and give you something in writing from a qualified person to certify how hard things are. Sorry your personal circumstances are so bad you need this kind of support. I hope you can find the evidence you need for your claim.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Sorry to have to post this - but time is one thing I do not have right now.

Does anyone have a quick link to statistics around how many unpaid carers are suffering from mental health problems or have either contemplated taking, or actually taken their own lives? Are there any reports you have read and can relocate easily that explain the emotional and financial burdens of people in the UK who choose to look after their own?

The information will be used as supporting evidence to show that providing 50 hours a week care for a relative in late stage Alzheimer's and also assisting with farm work and trying to investigate and develop a diversification business is a physically and emotionally unsustainable position to put oneself under (yes, I know, it should be obvious!)

In doing just that, I have pushed myself to the brink on several occasions, but it is necessary to ensure mum has the care she needs and wants and that since I have given up my job, the farm is our only source of income and we've scaled down production the past few years so OH can better support me and mum and because his retired dad has also had to step right back to care for his own partner who is just a couple of years in the whole progression behind my mum.

We're desperate for a place to live on the holding to allow father in law and partner their privacy and just cut out what amounts to hours every week of pointless car journeys and always having to be 'somewhere else'. We need to live on site for the business to operate, which is why we have spent the last 2 summers in a very dilapidated touring caravan! We're now back home in a home that is no use to us 8 months of the year, but we daren't sell it and we have no time to maintain it, let alone get it ready to rent and find a tenant. This puts additional responsibility on someone who is past retirement age and also has his own loved one to look after.

I need to show our Local Planning Authority that this situation is placing a huge and unsustainable strain on us. It needn't be like this! The reason we aren't generating enough income to justify (in their eyes) a dwelling in site is because we are accommodating the needs of a terminally ill person! We are pulling out all the stops to keep the business operating at a low level and retaining a very loyal customer base, but if we lose that - we won't get it back. If we can just keep our heads above water another couple of years, we have the expertise and ability to make the business thrive again.

Please may I respectfully ask that nobody responds with a 'why can't you.... / why don't you....surely you could just....?' type response. The facts are as I have laid them out. However, if you are kind enough to point me to any evidence that would help explain the stress I am under, that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you :)
For the hard hitting stuff please google carers suicidal thoughts and ideation. And read the abstract of the research
Suicidal ideation and resilience in family carers of people with dementia. A pilot study.
Also read the abstract of homicidal ideation.
Good luck to you.