Any music DVD suggestions for late stage?

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Mum is in a nursing home and spends a lot of time in bed on an airflow mattress. Although often she seems "switched off" and unable to respond to what she sees and hears she does still have connected periods where she can talk a little and enjoy listening to music. I also find waltzes etc useful for gently moving her arms in time to the music which can make her smile.

Once she went past being able to follow full films such as Sound of Music I bought her some Andre Rieu DVDs after seeing another poster mention him a while ago and they have been a good buy but there is quite a lot of noisy applause in between tracks.

I have tried a couple of hymn CD and DVDs but they don't seem to catch her attention. I have some "sing along" CDs and some classical CDs but am hoping for suggestions of DVDs as the images will help to attract her attention and brighten up the room during the times when she is alone in her room. I visit for 2/3 hours most days to feed her so am hoping for a bit of a change as well!

Julia B

Apr 13, 2015
Hello, MiL loves irish music, Mrs Browns boys and oddly enough Take Me out, You've been framed and old musicals with Howard Keel...the first two because she's irish herself and they feel a bit familiar I suspect, the final ones because of the colours, the short clips and the simplicity of songs rather than too much dialogue..It never matters how many times she sees them as its fresh and new each showing, and they require no concentration, and it's great to see her laughing or singing along. Also the vintage music channels are good on Sky, often finds things like Cilla/Tammy Wynette/Elvis very soothing , apart from the shock when she finds out they've died, bless her :eek:. All the best to you and your mum x

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
How old is she?

Might help someone suggest songs from early childhood or teenage years.

Father who never sings was word perfect to several well known Christmas carols - although he is not at the same stage.

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
Does she like musicals? I know that my mum would always love having Doris Day or Fred Astaire musicals to listen to, even if she wouldn't be able to follow the story.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Thanks - she's early 80s and used to amaze me how she could sing along to all sorts of songs despite having almost no memory of her own life. Sadly that changed almost overnight a year ago when a UTI caused a dramatic downturn and she lost the ability to walk, feed herself etc. She could then rarely even recognise the songs she used to be able to sing word-perfect.

She used to love going to musicals and I still have some box sets with South Pacific etc that I used to put on for her when at an earlier stage but I'm really seeking something that is just or mainly music. Some of the music DVDs have "song only" options but it makes them very short so they aren't much good when I'm not there to replay them (the carers will turn on the TV or DVD if Mum is awake but don't return very often).

Hello JuliaB - Mum used to love her box set of Dad's Army - yes, the jokes were new each time she saw them but I think the characters remained familiar. She's way past that now, sadly. I can't get Sky or internet in her bedroom.

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex

Amelie5a

Nov 5, 2014
Scotland
Andre Rieu is definitely towards the top of my Dad's list - Dad (88) just loves the combination of music, happy faces, and dancing and it puts him into such a good place. The Sky planner now holds a number of Rieu concerts recorded from Sky Arts over the past year and they're well-viewed!

Thinking of DVDs, how about Fantasia? Really visual and lovely music.

Katherine Jenkins and Il Divo also go down well wth Dad - they're concert performances so have some chat between the music, but nowhere near as much as the Rieu ones.

If you've an Amazon account, I'd definitely spend a bit of time drilling down into their dvd section with a variety of search terms such as fifties music, music hall,music for children etc. Something may well catch your eye that you would never have thought of!

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
My Dad really enjoys Frank Sinatra DVDs. The best one we have is called - the man and his music. It has 3 sections,which can be put on a - play all - setting and lasts over 2 hours. The songs are familiar, varied in pace and his voice is amazing. He also likes the BBC proms, which can be recorded from the tv at the right time of year.

All the best, Heidi x

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi. My mum born in 1924 used to love , Vera Lynne , foster and Allen , Dave and Alan. Elvis , and Sophie Tucker, mind you I like them too
We got many of these CDs from Asda or Amazon .
I have no connection with the above.

Even when mum was how can I put it , switched off ? hearing their songs seemed to help her, she looked did look more serene.

Do you remember songs your mum sung or loved when you were young, I don't mean ones she may have sung for you, but perhaps your remember some she used to sing to herself when she was working around the house or perhaps at a family do.

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
How about DVD's of musicals such as Oklahoma or Seven Brides for Seven Brothers or Mamma Mia - there is lots of colour and dancing in those as well as lively songs

PS - and Calamity Jane

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Thanks for all your suggestions. I've sent off for the ESO "Music to lift the spirit" as even if it just lifts mine that will be a help! Spent over 2 hours tonight with only enough "connected" time to get Mum to consume 150mls of Ensure milkshake and a beaker of tea. Even me dancing along with her stuffed toys to Andre Rieu's "Hava Nagila" didn't get a flicker. Never mind, tomorrow might be a better day.