Any medication for temper.

Ashburton

Feb 19, 2007
My mum was diagnosed with AD in 2003, up until now things have been ok, but now during the night my mum wakes up a couple of times suddenly and can loose her temper, although she is not violent physically, I am concerned, it has hard to make out what my mum is saying at times when she looses her temper, sometimes she will say she wants to go home even though she is home, I try and change the subject and try to reassure her, but this does not always work and my mums temper can be quite severe, it can last for anything from 10 minutes to over an hour. My mums psychiatrist says just to monitor the situation as he does want to prescribe any medication, why would he not prescribe something ? Any experiences, help would be much appreciated.

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Hi Ashburton, welcome to TP.

Sorry you're having a difficult time with your mum. I guess part of the problem is that there is no medication that is specifically to deal with temper outbursts in the middle of the night. Whatever the psych could prescribe will have other effects too ..... probably making mum more dozey in the day, more confused, less able to cope.

I recognise the problem of wanting to go home when you are home. My dad did that. It must be hard in the middle of the night.

Drugs are never that specific though, and have lots of other effects in addition to the ones we want. And then you can be left in a situation where you don't know what is the drug and what is the illness and what is the circumstances of the moment.

I'm a little biased because dad was started on exelon just as he went into emergency respite, and on amitriptyline just as he was told his brother died. Complete nightmare to fathom out what was happening.

Ashburton

Feb 19, 2007
Hi Aine

Thanks for reply, thought this would be the reason why he has not prescribed anything, it is just so upsetting to see my mum going through this and not been able to do anything. Thankfully it does not last too long and during the day there are no problems yet.

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
I know. I found it agonising with dad. I didn't live with him, but used to go to see him every night after work. I'd be exhausted from work and from the 75+ mile round trip between home, work and dad's home. Then he'd start. First asking me to take him home (that is, when he was in the home he'd lived in for 30+ years, AND the address he was giving me when he was asking to be taken home), then getting stroppy ........ "its about time you took me home" ....... then 'pathetic' "I'm an old man ......... please take me home".

No easy answers, but lots of love and sympathy

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
What Aine said :)

It sounds almost like "night terrors" doesn't it? Not that that's much help.

Jennifer