Any increased adverse side effects for dementia patient after receiving Covid vaccines (Pfizer/Moderna)?

JasonC

Apr 17, 2021
My wife has frontotemporal dementia (FTD). I plan to have her vaccinated with Pfizer Covid vaccines in about two weeks. I will expect she will have some common side effects associated with the vaccine. But I am afraid if she would have increased adverse side effects, especially in the cognitive aspect. I have asked her primary physician and she said she did not see increased adverse side effects. Of course, I trust her primary physician. But in the meantime, she practices family medicine and does not normally have dementia patients. So I would like to ask this community to see if anyone has experiences with dementia patients (either FTD or Alzheimer) receiving Pfizer Covid vaccines. Since both Pfizer and Moderna use the same mRNA technology, the experiences with Moderna vaccines will be helpful as well.

Thank you!

Jason

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @JasonC

My wife has mixed dementia and has had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine. On both occasions my wife was unaware that she had even had the jabs as we left the vaccination centre. Zero side effects were suffered - not even a painful spot at the injection site.

One this was was that the activity around the centre and the procedure caused sensory overload so I found it helped us get rushed through that I told the staff about the dementia and the likely confusion/agitation.

Good luck with that on the day.:)

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
By the way, now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience and they are a friendly & supportive group.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
My mum (has Alzheimer's), and received Pfizer jab one before Christmas, with no ill effects.

Pfizer jab two in January bought on shivers, headache and generally feeling poorly. I dosed her up with paracetamol, hot water bottle and a blanket and she was fine within 24 hours.

What struck me was the fact that Mum never complains of aches or pains which I put down to the dementia and her lack of being able to express herself; even the healthiest of us feel a bit off colour occasionally, so she must have been feeling very poorly to be able to verbalise how she felt.

Nannyslittlechip

Apr 1, 2020
Liverpool
My mum has moderate Alzheimer’s and I took her for her 2nd jab on Thursday and as with the first she’s had no side effects at all, not even a sore arm. The only bad thing was she was agitated having to wait for 15 minutes afterwards. Good luck getting her jabbed, I’m sure she’ll be fine. I think you have to look at the fact that getting COVID is much worse xxxx

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
My wife has frontotemporal dementia (FTD). I plan to have her vaccinated with Pfizer Covid vaccines in about two weeks. I will expect she will have some common side effects associated with the vaccine. But I am afraid if she would have increased adverse side effects, especially in the cognitive aspect. I have asked her primary physician and she said she did not see increased adverse side effects. Of course, I trust her primary physician. But in the meantime, she practices family medicine and does not normally have dementia patients. So I would like to ask this community to see if anyone has experiences with dementia patients (either FTD or Alzheimer) receiving Pfizer Covid vaccines. Since both Pfizer and Moderna use the same mRNA technology, the experiences with Moderna vaccines will be helpful as well.

Thank you!

Jason
Yes I have Dementia FTD had first jab on 21st February got a bit of a reaction some itchy rash like I was on fire but I am ALLERGIC to PENICILLIN second jab is in May hopefull it will finenext time :rolleyes:;)

JasonC

Apr 17, 2021
Thank you all so very much for replying and sharing your experiences with Pfizer vaccines. It has been very helpful and also encouraging so far. Thanks!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Moderna vaccine is only just coming to UK, its aimed at younger people.

I volunteer at a vaccine centre. The older patients have been back for their second jabs- Not heard any stories that worry me. The odd ''she had a sore arm for a day or two'' Nothing about downturn with dementia.

Please take her- I dread to imagine the downturn that would occur if she ended up in hospital with Covid

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
@JasonC - My OH has all the symptoms of FTD, but doesn not have a diagnosis. We have both had two pfizer jabs. Each time OH was very tired and slept a lot more than usual and he also got a temperature. It only lasted a couple of days though and then he returned to normal. I havent noticed any particular downturn.

I have dreaded him actually getting covid as he has lots of other neurological problems and would be a very high risk. I feel I can begin to relax a bit now,

JasonC

Apr 17, 2021
@JasonC - My OH has all the symptoms of FTD, but doesn not have a diagnosis. We have both had two pfizer jabs. Each time OH was very tired and slept a lot more than usual and he also got a temperature. It only lasted a couple of days though and then he returned to normal. I havent noticed any particular downturn.

I have dreaded him actually getting covid as he has lots of other neurological problems and would be a very high risk. I feel I can begin to relax a bit now,

CherryP

Jun 25, 2016
My husband had his 2nd Astra Zeneca vaccination last Wednesday. He had no physical side effects from either, but on Thursday morning was so confused. The carer that came that morning commented on it and so did the one on Friday morning. I got really worried on Saturday and phoned 111 option 2 Saturday evening. He is almost back to normal this morning. I don't know what else to put it down to other than the vaccination.

grpop

Nov 17, 2016
My wife has dementia and had the astra vaccination and the same night she had a stroke and took 3 days to recover. Her gp said another stroke was unlikely and to have another vaccination of astra following which she had no ill effects.

Dianej

Mar 27, 2021
My partner, who has Alzheimers, had a very achy arm and severe headache for 48 hours after his first Pfizer jab. The second jab left him with a painful arm, though less painful than the first time, but a headache, fever, and extreme tiredness. The day after the second jab, he got up in the morning as usual, then went back to bed at about 10.30am and slept almost solidly until the following morning. After that, he was back to normal, with no permanent ill-effects. I should say that his brother who does not have dementia, had a similar experience after the second jab. The effects for my partner seemed to be physical rather than cognitive.
I have to say it is such a relief to me to have got both our jabs done as he is unable to understand and refuses to comply with Covid restrictions such as masks, social distancing etc.