Any ideas ?

Chewy

Feb 4, 2013
Hi everyone , dad is just finishing a course of antibiotics for chest infection and possibly a uti but he seems to have deteriorated so quickly over the last week. He just wants to sleep all the time during the day and is so lifeless to what he was a week ago. His night sleep pattern has changed ( waking up more ) and he has become more reluctant to want to get up and use the toilet. Up until a week ago he would have the odd accident with going to the toilet but now he just doesn't care about anything as if he has just given up . Do I take him back to the doctors for further tests or has anyone else experienced this or am I just over reacting forgetting how ill my dad is. It just seems to have happened so quick I know my dad is ill but he was fighting this god forsaken illness in his own way. His speech is virtually no existent now with the odd word here and now but we shall keep going as best we can . Thanks for listening guys .

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

joggyb

Dec 1, 2014
Hi everyone , dad is just finishing a course of antibiotics for chest infection and possibly a uti but he seems to have deteriorated so quickly over the last week. He just wants to sleep all the time during the day and is so lifeless to what he was a week ago. His night sleep pattern has changed ( waking up more ) and he has become more reluctant to want to get up and use the toilet. Up until a week ago he would have the odd accident with going to the toilet but now he just doesn't care about anything as if he has just given up . Do I take him back to the doctors for further tests or has anyone else experienced this or am I just over reacting forgetting how ill my dad is. It just seems to have happened so quick I know my dad is ill but he was fighting this god forsaken illness in his own way. His speech is virtually no existent now with the odd word here and now but we shall keep going as best we can . Thanks for listening guys .

To be frank, I think you should speak to your dad's GP asap, and try to get him/her to come out and see your dad. As you say, he might have a UTI which might explain his decline - or not. Only a professional medic will be able to tell you.

wilf

Mar 19, 2014

Yes, I have experienced this and you are not over reacting. My 92 year old Mum recently had u.t.i. and chest infection. As she completed the course of antibiotics blood test confirmed that the infection mark had signicantly decreased but had literaly knocked her off her feet. Mum was incredibly weak, lost the ability to weight bear and was too tired to eat or drink. Thankfully Mum recovered. I suggest you get the G.P. to home visit your Dad to re examine and do an urgent blood and urine test to determine if the infection mark is decreasing. Another antibiotic course may be needed, perhaps augmentin. Make sure your Dad takes plenty fluids, food not vital in the short term. If too weak to take fluids suggest hospital admitance for intravenous fluids and the antibiotics if he wont take them orally. Sadly the infections will cause the dementia to progress. If your Dad is struggling to eat or drink beware of aspiration that can lead to pneumonia, short term pureed food and thickened fluids will help prevent this. Hopefully your Dad should then show signs of recovering. Once biologicaly recovering he will need intense familly support to stimulate his brain to respond to his lack of alertness. Hope it goes well for you and do post again if you need any support.

Chewy

Feb 4, 2013
Thank you for your kind words and advice .