Any ideas on fidgety things

happybunny

Mar 28, 2013
Other half has had Alzheimer's for the last four and a half years. He has started pulling at his clothes and destroying things, have got him a fiddle toy( baby's toy) to fidget with. This one has proved very successful as it is really tough. Has anyone any ideas on other things that I can get him to keep his hands occupied as I gave run out of ideas?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee

Mooo

Jul 30, 2015
Manchester
Twiddlemuffs!

I would like to echo the previous comments on here, I know people from my organisation who have been knitting and sewing away for weeks to keep a production line going! They're soft, brightly coloured, warming, and often have little buttons or pockets or things to twiddle (!) on the inside. I hope this helps, all the very best to you.

christmas

Apr 27, 2014
Leicestershire
Other half has had Alzheimer's for the last four and a half years. He has started pulling at his clothes and destroying things, have got him a fiddle toy( baby's toy) to fidget with. This one has proved very successful as it is really tough. Has anyone any ideas on other things that I can get him to keep his hands occupied as I gave run out of ideas?

Hi my oh was doing the same ,my daughter brought him a cushen for Christmas its got different things on it to play with he plays with it all the time ,you can get a blanket as well hope this helps you X Christmas

gwincy

May 18, 2014
Cheshire

Hi I bought some of those little interlocking metal puzzles kept my husband busy carrying them around and leaving them all over and he never managed to get them undone.

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
How about a 'twiddlemuff'. My husband has 3. None knitted by me I might add! He sometimes likes fiddling with one. Sometimes he tries to eat the buttons etc on them. This link had the knitting pattern.

http://www.repod.org.uk/downloads/Twiddlemuffs_Instructions_24-01-15.pdf

He also has a 'house of locks'. He sits for ages fiddling with that -

http://www.activitiestoshare.co.uk/house-of-locks

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

What a brilliant link the activities one is - I have been desperately trying to find something to occupy my husband in his care home - he seems to have no interest in television - never liked reading and anyway cant see normal print without glasses, which he loses or wont wear anyway, and cant do dominoes anymore as he cant relate the spots to numbers. He was a builder - a practical man - and several things on that site look ideal for him. Thank you so much for sharing that link.