Any ideas for hobbies and interests

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Well, if we're talking about going as far as New England up the coast, be sure to see the OBX (Outer Banks) above Nag's Head and up to Corolla!

Picture attached. Magical ancient [well 1930's is ancient in US terms ;) ] hotel the First Colony Inn. http://www.firstcolonyinn.com/ Owned and run by Camille, a wacky but great character.

Picture shows Nina walking on the beach. Fabulous place, and where I started a new life.

Attachments

• OBX.JPG
    OBX.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 780

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Michael,

I'm so glad to learn that your trip to London didn't turn out to be as difficult & traumatic as you had feared. Thank goodness for the nice surprises, eh? Just now & again something goes right, then somehting that seems quite innocuous throws up all sorts of unexpected hiccups!

Brucie - lovely photograph, and hope for you for things to come in a 'normal' world one day.

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Looks beautiful - and the beach is nice too!!! :)

Hotel looks great - funky - what a wonderful place to start a new life in - sure it was lovely -

Michael

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Michael, so glad your trip went well. You are right about AD changing our attitude. I think for me I've learned not to sweat the little things. I'm a born worrier and now I try to only worry about the things I can control which is practically nothing !
Bruce, what a great place, I've bookmarked it for the future ! (Great picture !)
I am embarrased to say that I haven't traveled the northeast at all. I lived in Florida for two years and visited Savanah Georgia but that was the extent of my travels up the west coast. Being from Texas I was quiet sheltered growing up and had no desire to see what else was out there. My current husband who is from Chicago has broadened my horizons we are on a mission to see all of the states but so far we have only seen the southwest, the west coast and midwest. We're getting there slowly but surely. Maybe some day I'll get to cross the pond !!

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Rummy
I think you are wise to get about and see as much of the world as you can,you then have a lot of memories to look back at.
I got around a bit,and one of my great memories was living in New York for 6 weeks!!
Norman

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Norm, I have never been to NYC but it is on my A list of places to go. I want to ice skate at Rockefeller Center and see a show ! Grand Canyon is on my A list too.
All of you guys are such world travelers ! Well I did go to Cancun once but that was in another lifetime :D

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Debbie

at risk of being boring... here we are at Grand Canyon in 1980. Actually Yosemite is my favourite place!

Attachments

• canyon.jpg
    canyon.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 739

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
... oh, and Jan on the Empire State in 1989. [World Trade Center in background]

Attachments

• NYC.jpg
    NYC.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 746

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Not boring at all Bruce, I love seeing the pictures and hearing about all of your travels!
Your wife is beautiful and has a beautiful smile !
I haven't beento Yosemite either, sigh, but I have been to San Francisco, Muir Woods, Napa and Reno (all one trip ) I think thus far, that was my favorite trip.
Debbie

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
This was taken of my husband Nick and me last summer in Chicago on the architectural boat tour. See, I get out a little :D

Attachments

• nick&deb on tour.jpg
    nick&deb on tour.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 756

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
GOOD GRIEF !! I had no idea this picture was so BIG ! My apologies, it will scare old women and young children so please guard your computer screens !!! :eek:

(If anyone can tell me how to edit and remove that picture I will gladly take it off )

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Debbie

have done it for you. Lovely picture!

all you need to do is open the picture in the Windows Paint program, then select

Stretch/Skew
resize to 50% horizontal and 50% vertical
save the result, and it is smaller!

Almost made it to Chicago last year when invited to make a presentation to the Wisconsin SAS User Group, but had to decline as that was when I left SAS.

sandy25

Nov 30, 2005
Music and problems with technology

I'm glad I looked at this subject, the photographs idea is fantastic so I will definately get Dad onto that soon. At the moment he pretty much just sits and watches tv all day, if he tries to do anything else it seems to stress mum out too much.

I don't know much about VD but I'm sure just sat watching the tv all day is going to speed up his detoriation. I'm desperately clutching at some hope we can at least slow it down.

I'm also thinking about getting him his own personal CD player so that he listen to music when he wants without having to ask for help from mum on how to work the hi-fi (he struggles with his eyesight too so has problems with all the small buttons!).

I want a really simple CD player but other than getting a childs one which would be completely insensitive there isn't much out there - does anybody have any suggestions?? :confused:

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
How about a portable satellite radio? You can preprogram different chanels and have choices of music, sports and talk radio. I think the buttons are pretty small on those too though.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Sandy25

I hope that whatever you try will work, but please be prepared that he may not be able to figure out the easiest of CD players.

Along with losing short term memory, and having difficulty in working 'normal' audio/TV gear, there can also be a major problem with introducing new things, no matter that they may be child's play.

It is not just an inability, it is also a growing lack of confidence.

Good luck!

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
sandy25 said:
I'm also thinking about getting him his own personal CD player so that he listen to music when he wants without having to ask for help from mum on how to work the hi-fi (he struggles with his eyesight too so has problems with all the small buttons!).

I want a really simple CD player but other than getting a childs one which would be completely insensitive there isn't much out there - does anybody have any suggestions?? :confused:

Hi Sandy25,
With regard to the really simple childs CD player, why not get one anyway, and tell him you picked it up at a jumble sale or charity shop, and perhaps he could use it "until you see one which you like". White lies are useful sometimes, and not so terrible when for a good cause.

Best wishes

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonathan95