Any idea how not to face financial ruin while caring?

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
What can we do...

I know in theory we should all be campaigning for better support, both financial and emotional, but I bet most of us have little time or the energy to dedicate to the cause. Let's be honest a lot of us feel worn out just getting through the day and I think that is half the problem, we are too tired to have a proper voice so it's easy to ignore us!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Pretty fair comment, my wife had to give up work at just over 50 so lost 10 years of income, I gave up at 58 to look after her and even though she's now in full time care what chance have I got at now over 60 of getting a job. AZ if it hits young can be financially a disaster on top of all the rest.
At least the kids have all grown up and the house is paid for but I don't hit pensionable age for another 5 years so economically speaking it's a disaster.
"Young" on here is defined as being under 65 when most people are getting a state and possibly some private pensions too that they can live off, I am on income zero and I can't see that changing. Don't get me wrong we did put some money away for a rainy day, we just never expected it to be raining cats and dogs like it has turned out and I do know there are many on here in a much worse place than me and I don't just mean moneywise.
Now she's in full time care I get a full nights sleep, I can visit when I want and walk away when it starts to go wrong (as it does sometimes), someone else dresses, washes and toilets her, does the laundry, makes her food and cleans up after her.
It's not what I want but it is what's best for her and it breaks my heart reading posts from people on here at the end of their tether, I know I've been there, there's an army of us out there maybe it's time we mobilised ourselves.
K

Peirre

Aug 26, 2015
As someone who stopped working at 50 yrs to care for my father for 70hrs+ A week, I'd like to see carers in receipt of carers allowance exempt from council tax in the same way the same as patient.
I'm my case as I live in social housing (council flat) any income I have from carers allowance and a small private pension is negated by the calculation for housing benefit. So any income from those incomes I loose, but yet I still have to find approx half my rent/council tax per month, as housing benefit only covers half my rent. That's before I even consider paying utility bills etc, buying food or any luxuries. But if I can, I will allow my father to remain at home until the end.

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
what chance have I got at now over 60 of getting a job.

Kevinl, please don't write yourself off. It's sad that you think like that, as I'm sure as you must have lots of experience and skills you can offer to a prospective employer.

I've read that some companies prefer older workers, plus age discrimination is illegal.