Any help available now someone is immobile?

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
My OH went into hospital being fully able to stand and walk. Now three months later she is back home but is fully immobile. We live in the country, so without transport, she is stuck to staying in the house. Previously she enjoyed being in the car and being driven around, but with her immobility, this is not possible.
I was wondering if there is any assistance available in buying a vehicle which would accept someone in a wheelchair?

Nigel_2172

Aug 8, 2017
Shropshire
When my wife became immobile, we got a Carony wheelchair with a Turnout subframe fitted into our Ford Focus. This system uses a wheelchair with a detachable seat which slides onto a swivelling base fixed in place of the original car seat, leaving the wheeled base to be carried in the boot. It saves any lifting of the immobile person - ours was an absolute saviour. I see you are in Newtown - our seat (which I got secondhand) was fitted by All Shropshire Mobility in Minsterley near Shrewsbury who have been really helpful. Might be worth looking into. Sorry I can't add any links - haven't posted enough messages yet!

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
Carony wheelchair

Thanks, Nigel, I have never seen a Carony wheelchair before, looked on YouTube and even found one being demonstrated for the make/model of car we have. I have to say it looks really good, what I like the most about it is that it looks totally normal and not something out of the ordinary.
With that type of chair, we could go out, visit the doctors, dentists and so on.

Nigel_2172

Aug 8, 2017
Shropshire
With that type of chair, we could go out, visit the doctors, dentists and so on
Ours went everywhere and was so much more comfortable than a standard wheelchair. It has the powered swivel base and always seemed to attract attention (and possibly envy)! It is now unfortunately redundant and sitting in our spare room .....

Pickett54

Oct 11, 2019
My OH went into hospital being fully able to stand and walk. Now three months later she is back home but is fully immobile. We live in the country, so without transport, she is stuck to staying in the house. Previously she enjoyed being in the car and being driven around, but with her immobility, this is not possible.
I was wondering if there is any assistance available in buying a vehicle which would accept someone in a wheelchair?

Pickett54

Oct 11, 2019
If you are claiming PIP or DLA you can use the mobility part of the benefit to purchase a mobility car