Any experience of getting PWD into care home in another county?

Lstevens412

Jul 25, 2020
Good evening,
Mum in law got a diagnosis of dementia last week, just as hallucinating and wandering have increased. She is currently in London, with no family, just three carers a day. SS and Drs know, have been informed and hopefully we will get a review of care. We are in Dorset! Hubby has been visiting and speaks every day. She is self funding with savings and owns her flat. We want her near us preferably in a care home ( if it is safe to do so, covid is low here). SS said moving across counties was not straight forward, has anyone got experience of this? Many thanks.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Are social services aware that she will be self funding and has assets including a property?

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My mother in law was in an outer London borough and completely self funding. My husband and I moved her to another county, although not as far as Dorset. She was in hospital when she needed to go into full time care and the care home came out to assess her in hospital. The home were part of a charity and were able to get a local manager to do the assessment. My mother in law never had with involvement with social services, we just organised it ourselves. We had hospital transport bring her to our house and then we transferred her ourselves further on. This was all pre covid, so things might have changed

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I think problems can arise if a person is receiving care in one LA and then moves to receive care in another with higher fees, the original LA retains the funding responsibility and only funds at their lower rate.

If self funding i think she can just move.

Others with personal experience may comment later on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet