Any DIY Alzheimer's experts?

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
With the Covid-19 virus things, access to the normal health channels are limited, so I am posting here in the hope someone might be able to say they have experienced something similar.

It has been a really strange week with my wife (PWD), she is looked after at home and we have carers four times a day for personal care. She is relatively young (70), has had the illness for at least six years and does not take any dementia medication.

Monday
The first sign of something wrong. Normally personal care is challenging, but that morning, not one moan. This was so exceptional the carer said she was concerned as this was not normal. That night she was sick (it seemed like the whole contents of her stomach) came up.
Tuesday
Sick again around 11 pm.
Wednesday
She was unresponsive in the bed and twitching. An ambulance was called and she was taken to hospital. They did a CT and blood tests but found nothing abnormal. I collected her later that afternoon.
Saturday
Again she is accepting personal care when normally she would be extremely vocal. The carer again said this is not normal.

So here is the question, why is she being so placid, it is just not her?

Last edited:

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Sometimes behaviour just changes for no reason & becomes easier but I’d keep a close eye on her.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I dont think we can answer conclusively, we can only suggest things.
Its good that she has been checked for an infection. In the absence of an infection Im wondering whether she is getting seizures - hence the twitching. OH gets seizures and is often sick after them. He is very lethargic afterwards too.

Please note, Im not saying that this is what it is. Im only suggesting a possibility. Keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, speak to a doctor.

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
Thanks, @canary, you could well be right about it being seizure related. The carer said morning she could still see her twitching, but not as bad as on Wednesday. It is strange, this morning she has been exceptionally quiet, then in the last ten minutes, she seems to have snapped out of it, back to her normal verbal self.