Any advise please

Razzamajazza

Mar 23, 2015
A week ago my 47 year old partner had an episode whilst in bed. He started to scream and was bright red sweaty and unconscious for over half an hour. He also lost control of his bladder. He was admitted to hospital as they thought he had had a stroke. The ct showed nothing so an mri was ordered. He suffered damage to his left arm which has left him in great pain. X-rays show no break or dislocation so they thought it muscular a week later he continues to struggle to use it. The mri scan revealed he has the brain they would expect to see in an 80 year old. He has suffered with problems with his memory and confusion for the last 8 years but Drs put it down to stress etc. it's only now it all adds up. since the episode which the Drs don't know what caused it he has had no short term memory at all and each day it is getting worse. There are very very few moments of clarity. He doesn't remember he has eaten as well. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? His nxt neuro appt not til May 6th so I have phoned neurologist to make him aware of the rapid deterioration .

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
So sorry I can't help but couldn't pass on by. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some advice. So worrying for you. Hope you can get some advice soon.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Very frightening. You are obviously wondering about early onset dementia but only the medical authorities can get to grips with that. I am sorry you are faced with this and hope you have good support.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
So sorry to read of the problems your husband is suffering and thinking of you both. I would push hard for an earlier appointment - seems you both need some answers and support as quickly as possible to enable you to come to terms with the future.

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
I too would be pushing for an earlier appointment to follow things up, 6th May is too far away given the rapid changes you describe. You don't say if he is now home again or still in hospital but if he is home with you that's a lot for you to take on with little insight into what is actually behind it all and if he's in hospital then I would be expecting daily investigation into what has happened and what can be done rather than having to wait weeks and weeks.

It's a horrible time for you but from experience I would say the help/expertise etc. is there in the NHS but it won't necessarily find you (it should but that's another whole issue!) you have to go and find it, push and push more till you get better answers and whether it's appointments/care/diagnosis try and remember 'the conversation isn't over till you're satisfied'

The very best of luck to you both.

ASH74

May 18, 2014
You can always ask your GP to write and ask for your appointment to be fast tracked.

What a scary situation for you both.

Best wishes.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Razzamajazza

Mar 23, 2015
I contacted my hubby's neurologist secretary gave her the info and updated on his rapid determination. The neurologist has got back to me today and will see hubby tomorrow at end of his morning clinic so hopefully I will have more answers! My hubby was in Hosp only two days and they have said they didn't expect this deterioration so quickly. Thanks everyone for your support I don't feel I am doing this alone now and am able up talk to people who understand x

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi Razzamajazza :)

I'm so pleased that you were able to get through to the secretary and get your husband seen tomorrow. This must be so worrying for you - but at least you now have the possibility of some answers / treatment :)

Will be thinking of you and hope all goes well.

Lindy xx

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Razzamajazza - well done and thank goodness you have an appointment for your husband tomorrow. Might I suggest that you write down all the questions you have - it is easy under stress and pressure to forget things you want to ask. Good luck for you both and loving thoughts go with you.

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
I hope you receive all the help you so obviously need, and that your husband receives the care and attention from the medical team, as soon as possible. Good luck.

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Well done Razzamajazza! good luck with the appointment and I agree with WIFE, write down anything that occurs to you as something you want an answer to or a concern or a point you wish to make whether it's directly about diagnosis or what to do if... or whatever and then remember to take the list with you, I invariably forget mine! :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heidi j