Any Advice would be more than welcome

rms75

Aug 1, 2015
Good Evening,
My mother in law has Dementia and I'm really struggling as to what help if any from social services/doctors she is entitled to..... Her husband is absolutely amazing however he is tired and its beginning to shoe he is a very proud man..... but afraid to ask for help.... myself and my husband help when we can..... can anyone please get back to me if anyone has any answers on how we move things forward with more support for her husband ???

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
You can contact social services for advice,as they need to do a carers assessment.

Also your local Alzheimers society would be helpful, or the Admiral nurse if there is one in your area.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
If your local Alzheimer's Society run memory cafes in your area and they can attend, your father in law will find a lot of help and support.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Hi there
I don't know where you live but there are some really great carers organisations around. Crossroads Care is one that is local to us ( am in North Hertfordshire) - I am sure there will be one near to you. We have carers cafes once a month where we can get coffee, cake and a ton of advice and support - all free............... You and your husband are also carers. They will help you to get a carers break for him, maybe 3 hours or 6 hours a week when someone else goes in and he can get some time or maybe go out for lunch with friends or family.

Social Services will do a Carers Assessment but in my experience you have to wait a long time often so if you can hook up with a carers café or carers meeting you can at least get some info.

If you want to message me where you live I will have a look and help you find some info.

take care xx

Last edited: