any advice welcome

nemesisis

May 25, 2006
unfortunatly mum has been suffering with alzheimers for over five years now she lives on her own and after three years of trying to cope on my own by visiting three times a week I called social services they agreed to a care visit once a day. On december 20th (we think from what the consultent said) mum fell downstairs and broke her arm unfortunatly the care visiter didnt realise this and it was not till I visited three days later that I noticed she could not eat (she said my arm hurts) when I took her to the hospital the consultant told me your mum has broken her arm and wrist she is a vunerable lady she has no concept of being in danger and should not be on her own please contact social services and tell them. I did this but it was march before they came out for another assesment despite all I told them about mum deteriorating condition all they agreed to is two visits a day. In august mum had another fall down the stairs this time she broke her hip when she was found it was 19 hours after the last call we do not know how long she was on the floor for but she was wet, suffering from hypothermia and shock and in great pain after two week in hospital having a hip operation she was transfered to a community hospital for occupational therapy. I have been saying to social services since december mum is not safe on her own but guess what they phoned on moday and said "good news your mum is on the mend and ready to go home" I have told them that I am not accepting that. I feel that she needs residential ie full time care and they have called me in for a meeting on friday as she owns her own home I guess they are going to tell me to sell it but I dont care I just want mum looked after.

But after all that waffle I just wondered if you had any advice on what questions to ask and what are my mums rights to care and any other info you can offer. as I have not got much faith in social services.

( can you come with me as well lol)

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello: Just thinking how sad it is that you have to post and thinking 'what are SS all about?'.

It is always difficult to offer advice when not knowing the full circumstances. Are you far away from your Mum?

I wonder what her GP is doing and what the Mental Health Team are doing??? - surely someone can 'kick' the SS into some sense.

In your circs. I would also be losing faith with them - just hope that these other authorities can help you.

I am sure you will get other helpful advice here on TP.
Good luck Jan

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear nemesis, I on'y wish I could come with you. SS appear to have been absolutely useless here. They should be fighting your corner, insisting that your mum i not discharged until the future is sorted out, instead of just going along with whatever the hospital say.

You need to demand a proper assessment by OT, in your mum's own home, to see how she can cope. This should be done before any discharge date is set.

Then you need to demand to see the discharge care plan -- ie what support package SS has put in place if she is to return home.

You need to be sure that she can cope, and if not, what residential care is available ie you need to visit some care homes, and have some input into where she goes.

In other words, there is a lot to sort out before your mum is ready for discharge, and you need to be very firm about this.

You also need to let SS know that you are not satisfied with the level of support your mum has been receiving, and are prepared to lodge an official complaint if necessary.

They have let your mum down badly. Make sure they know that.

Good luck,

nemesisis

May 25, 2006
beckyjan

been in touch with mums cpn she agrees with me that unfortunatly mum is no longer safe at home on her own unfortunatly she has no say with social services although bless she did come out when social services did the last assesment as she wasn't happy with what was happening and she was dissapointed (like me) when they only agreed to up the visits from one to two a day

nemesisis

May 25, 2006
skye

thanks for support
you do not know if you are suffering how everyone else is or you are being treated unfairly and from what I have been told social services have been taking advantage of me (doesn't take much to make me feel guilty) x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
nemesisis said:
(doesn't take much to make me feel guilty) x

nemesisis, you have nothing to feel guilty about. That SW who has neglected your mum, and is prepared to do so again, is the one who should be feeling guilty. Bet she doesn't lose any sleep though!:eek:

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi
In my opinion, almost all SS, but there are exceptions, will do nothing, or not a lot, until you insist you need a service, EG crises!

You have to insist on the services you require, otherwise they will try to get away with the minimum.

My parent's CPN had a lot of influence in obtaining services.

Have you had a meeting with SW, CPN, yourself and anyone else involved in the care of your Mother?

Good luck

Alfjess

nemesisis

May 25, 2006
ta alfjess

as I said have refused for mum to be discharged with the current social services care plan ie two half hour visits a day and they insist I meet them on friday on mums ward to say why she cannot go home well I am soft but not that soft if they think I am going to argue with them over mums bed then they can forget it.
I have spoken to my solicitor and he says if they thought my mum was capable of her own desicions they wouldn't need me there so they obviously know she is not capable of assesing her needs. So in his words "your mum care is your priority" if they want the bed thats their problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN