Any advice please, the problem is 5 tea bags used in very cup of tea, how to change !

katz50

Jun 4, 2015
Hello,
I care for my father-in-law who lives on his own , but near to me, in the last week he has developed this new problem. He has always drunk a lot of tea, but is now putting five tea bags in a mug every time he makes himself a cup of tea, so going though huge amounts of teabags.:confused:

He has a hot meal prepared each day by myself, so I see him for a hour or so daily, but don't know how to kerb this habit, as he is now phoning me at 6.00am to tell me he has no teabags.

I intend to put up a notice on the kitchen cupboard 'ONE TEA BAG FOR A CUP OF TEA' and possibly restricting the amount of teabags per day, so he will have to drink some coffee.

As I cannot spend all day monitoring him.

Any ideas welcome,

Thanks Kat

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I think in the dementia world this isn't a huge problem. It's not going to harm him. If you're concerned about the amount of caffeine, get him herbal tea? Notices will be ignored.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
How old is he? Would a message about tea bags being on ration help him? Putting several mugs ready each with only one tea bag in them and then hiding the box. Label them as @extra strong only one bag needed. Make a large catering flask of tea up to last the day?

Can you tell me how to stop my father wearing his summer jacket which doesn't fit every single day? Aaaargh.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
My dad was always a tea drinker but now states he can't taste it so makes strong coffee which we have to watch how much he puts in. Maybe his taste change too?

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
We tried all sorts of notices with my father in law - nice and clear and simple and even laminated - none of them helped in the slightest since he would forget the instant he turned his eyes away. I hope you will be luckier!

If not then to be honest I would just make sure he has plenty of teabags - is the cost an issue and would he notice if you bought cheaper ones? Having become 'inventive' when it comes to dementia I think I might buy a lot of cheaper ones and 'decant' them into the boxes of the ones he's used to - that is if he would be likely to notice.

katz50

Jun 4, 2015
How old is he? Would a message about tea bags being on ration help him? Putting several mugs ready each with only one tea bag in them and then hiding the box. Label them as @extra strong only one bag needed. Make a large catering flask of tea up to last the day?

Can you tell me how to stop my father wearing his summer jacket which doesn't fit every single day? Aaaargh.

Thanks, I'm going to try the cup & 1 bag idea & rationing!!

Could you buy your father a new jacket?

katz50

Jun 4, 2015
teabags....

We tried all sorts of notices with my father in law - nice and clear and simple and even laminated - none of them helped in the slightest since he would forget the instant he turned his eyes away. I hope you will be luckier!

If not then to be honest I would just make sure he has plenty of teabags - is the cost an issue and would he notice if you bought cheaper ones? Having become 'inventive' when it comes to dementia I think I might buy a lot of cheaper ones and 'decant' them into the boxes of the ones he's used to - that is if he would be likely to notice.

Thanks, I,m already doing this as he does drink lots of tea, I'm still going to try the notices as well,

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
The best advice I can give you is to just Go with it, it's just a phase but guy cheap tea bags!

My dad is currently obsessed with toilet roll. It reminds me of the Labrador TV ads. I have hidden rolls all over the house so that we don't run out.

I could let it drive me mad, but what's the point? Dementia will win out and I'll just continue to be frazzled.

katz50

Jun 4, 2015
The best advice I can give you is to just Go with it, it's just a phase but guy cheap tea bags!

My dad is currently obsessed with toilet roll. It reminds me of the Labrador TV ads. I have hidden rolls all over the house so that we don't run out.

I could let it drive me mad, but what's the point? Dementia will win out and I'll just continue to be frazzled.

Thanks, I'm bulk buying and hiding them too, but trying to ration him to about 30 bags a day!!

He's been the same with tissuies.
My stress level have gone of the scale this year, just worrying what going to happen next, it's affected my health quite badly as it's just me & my husband, no other family to share the load. I now have a lovely lady that helps me some days, so hopefully this will make thing a bit easier.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Thanks, I'm bulk buying and hiding them too, but trying to ration him to about 30 bags a day!!

He's been the same with tissuies.
My stress level have gone of the scale this year, just worrying what going to happen next, it's affected my health quite badly as it's just me & my husband, no other family to share the load. I now have a lovely lady that helps me some days, so hopefully this will make thing a bit easier.

Glad you have someone to help you now, katz :) The endless responsibility can get you down as much as each individual issue, I find.....

Good luck :)

Lindy x

pippop1

Apr 8, 2013
With the jacket, I suggest you try to buy something similar but the right size and substitute it for the other one.

Take a big handbag with you when you swap the jackets over. A gentleman won't go into a lady's handbag (with any luck).