Any advice on personal hygiene?

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
IF you can afford it consider getting a middle eastern style bumhose fitted to wash the bum. Cheaper than a bidet.

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
WARNING - don't read this if you are squeamish!

Unfortunately, sometimes people with dementia (PWD) lose the ability to attend to their own personal hygiene, which could be due to more than one factor (which I won't elaborate on here). When this happens, your only choices are to get a carer to clean them, or to do it yourself. I know I don't need to say this, but it's really important to clean the person promptly, otherwise the skin can degrade and infection can set in.

Possible ways of dealing with this, I guess, depend upon the situation you are facing. I had a similar problem with my father-in-law (FIL) who had multiple issues: recovery from a major operation for bowel cancer resulting in irregular bowel habits; urinary incontinence and catheter; mobility issues following failed hip replacement surgery; enormous inguinal hernia - where his bowel was falling through a hole in his groin area and was distending his scrotum - as well as moderate form of dementia (for which he never did receive a diagnosis in his lifetime).

On the positive side, he was able to stand for short periods using a zimmer frame for support; he was tolerant of carers (me included) cleaning him up; and he lived in a downstairs room with a washable floor.

My solution was, basically, to give him a strip wash. There was simply no short cut option! I made sure I had everything to hand at all times in his room: separate washing-up bowl, soap, flannels, nappy sacks, lots and lots of toilet paper, floor mop and cleaning products; newspaper to cover the floor & gather any stray matter; wet wipes; nappy rash cream; clean clothes and fresh pads. The pads that worked best for him were the type that are used for male urinary incontinence. Because they are tapered, they also fit his back end, and in fact the tapering allowed room for his hernia. (Yes I had to remember to put the sticky side down in his pants!) The products supplied by the incontinence nurse were just too bulky for him, and I didn't bother following up with them.

When he felt the urge to go, he would take himself off to the downstairs loo. He was given toilet paper, but not wet wipes, as he had on one occasion managed to block the loo with these. Afterwards, I would encourage him into his room, remove his lower half clothing and clean him up thoroughly, whilst he stood holding the frame. Then I would re-dress him in fresh clothes. A bit like a toddler, I suppose!

I did arrange for paid carers to do this job as part of his care routine, but quite often he would 'save' his toilet visits until after the carer had left - so it was often down to me to deal with! Together with his daughter, we also routinely cleaned him up at night-time as part of his bedtime routine, so he was used to receiving this treatment!

It wasn't ideal, and it was far from a perfect solution to his particular needs. There were times when I wasn't there, or there was a long gap before the next carer's visit, and he was left sitting in his own poo. It's awful when you try to do your very best for someone, and it's just not good enough (guilt monster speaking here!). But in the end, we can only do our best, and it has to be enough.

Good luck to you, however you solve this tricky problem!

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
WARNING - don't read this if you are squeamish!

Unfortunately, sometimes people with dementia (PWD) lose the ability to attend to their own personal hygiene, which could be due to more than one factor (which I won't elaborate on here). When this happens, your only choices are to get a carer to clean them, or to do it yourself. I know I don't need to say this, but it's really important to clean the person promptly, otherwise the skin can degrade and infection can set in.

Possible ways of dealing with this, I guess, depend upon the situation you are facing. I had a similar problem with my father-in-law (FIL) who had multiple issues: recovery from a major operation for bowel cancer resulting in irregular bowel habits; urinary incontinence and catheter; mobility issues following failed hip replacement surgery; enormous inguinal hernia - where his bowel was falling through a hole in his groin area and was distending his scrotum - as well as moderate form of dementia (for which he never did receive a diagnosis in his lifetime).

On the positive side, he was able to stand for short periods using a zimmer frame for support; he was tolerant of carers (me included) cleaning him up; and he lived in a downstairs room with a washable floor.

My solution was, basically, to give him a strip wash. There was simply no short cut option! I made sure I had everything to hand at all times in his room: separate washing-up bowl, soap, flannels, nappy sacks, lots and lots of toilet paper, floor mop and cleaning products; newspaper to cover the floor & gather any stray matter; wet wipes; nappy rash cream; clean clothes and fresh pads. The pads that worked best for him were the type that are used for male urinary incontinence. Because they are tapered, they also fit his back end, and in fact the tapering allowed room for his hernia. (Yes I had to remember to put the sticky side down in his pants!) The products supplied by the incontinence nurse were just too bulky for him, and I didn't bother following up with them.

When he felt the urge to go, he would take himself off to the downstairs loo. He was given toilet paper, but not wet wipes, as he had on one occasion managed to block the loo with these. Afterwards, I would encourage him into his room, remove his lower half clothing and clean him up thoroughly, whilst he stood holding the frame. Then I would re-dress him in fresh clothes. A bit like a toddler, I suppose!

I did arrange for paid carers to do this job as part of his care routine, but quite often he would 'save' his toilet visits until after the carer had left - so it was often down to me to deal with! Together with his daughter, we also routinely cleaned him up at night-time as part of his bedtime routine, so he was used to receiving this treatment!

It wasn't ideal, and it was far from a perfect solution to his particular needs. There were times when I wasn't there, or there was a long gap before the next carer's visit, and he was left sitting in his own poo. It's awful when you try to do your very best for someone, and it's just not good enough (guilt monster speaking here!). But in the end, we can only do our best, and it has to be enough.

Good luck to you, however you solve this tricky problem!

I am writing to say that I think you are all amazing and what you are having to deal with is beyond many people. My husband was doubly incontinent and the thing that made me give up and getting him into nursing home, was that he denied what had happened and wouldn't let me near him. Getting him to allow me to clean him was so difficult and could take half hour or more trying to talk him into allowing me. Sometimes I would tell him the I was going to call the police!! Poor man. I wish he was still at home but when I look back at what it was like, I know I was at breaking point and could not have kept going. He has settled well now and I love to see him. When he has an accident now I find myself apologising to the staff for what they have to do. And I wait outside his room and cry. My poor love. No one wants a life to be like that.xx

Joel

Jun 10, 2017
how to make him spit .

Hai,
I dont know how to make him spit after washing his teeth.:confused: