any advice on hospital stays?

abby carter_old

Sep 23, 2004
If anyone can give any advice, it would be very welcome. My mum (82) broke her hip when she fell on Saturday night, and had to have an emergency hip replacement on Sunday, with a general anaesthetic. She is not recovering at all well, and won't eat. The hospital staff are treating her physical condition, but although we have done all we can to make them aware of mum's mental state, they do not seem to be caring for her in an appropriate way. We are having to ensure there is someone with her for most of the day to try and encourage her to eat, but she won't, and is getting weaker with every day that passes.

Any advice, from anyone?

Thanks,
Abby

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Abby, so very sorry to hear about your mum. It is unfortunately a fact that hospitals are not geared up to treat patients with dementia. All you can do is what you are doing, I went through similar earlier this year. Try taking in easy things to feed to your mum whilst you are there, yoghurt, mouse, baby foods etc. Also push the fluids as much as you can.Try taking her in fortified drinks etc. There are fortified foods and drinks which the hospital should be able to provide too, ask about them for your mum. I know it's not a solution, but as things are in hospitals at present, it seems all we can do as relatives. I do hope she picks up soon, please post again, thinking of you, love, She. XX

abby carter_old

Sep 23, 2004
Many thanks for such a quick response, She. We will try some of the things you suggest. The dietician at the hospital said she should have the fortified drinks but mum won't take them, she is just sipping water for now.

Thanks for your support,
Abby

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Abbey,

If you can get to a Health Food shop and pick up a bottle of Bach's Rescue Remedy, this may help. It does wonders for shock. You just add 4 or 5 small drops into her drinking water.

Kindest regards and best wishes,

Jude

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
Hi Abby,
sorry to hear about your mum, but try not to worry to much.My mum really went down hill when she had to stay in hospital,i was worried sick but as soon as she came home and we got her back in to her routine she was fine and regained any weight lost now she cant even remember being in hospital! I do think routine is abig factor in making people feel safe.Hope things improve soon.
P.S rescue remedy is very good.

storm